Somebody Help Me Make Them Breed!!!

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive got a SMALL colony of blaptica dubias im trying to get going...the problem is they arent getting going!!! ive got aobut 50+ dubias most are nymphs but have quite a few adult males and females. i have them in a big sterilite container. they have about 8 egg crates stack on one side. i feed them a high protein grain formula and plenty of water crystals....but no offspring!!! whats going on?! :wall: :?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Don't go high on protein, instead go with low % of protein. They can't digest very much protein at any one time which will eventually lead to fatal indigestion.

Dubias are slow reproducers and growers, so they may need 2 or so months to get started. I keep them at a temp of about 28C and I'm constantly getting lots of babies.

Also give them oranges to eat, they love those! Apples work too, fresh bananas (not f/t) work too. Overly ripe kiwi work very well also. Any sweet fruit should work really.

the_frog_kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
dirt
and a semi high protein food with moisture and about 80 to 95 temps and ull get them breeding
sorry for the quick post but im on the run

thanx froggy

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
high temp always help:D

and once they are pregnant ornage works a treat to get it out of them!

????josh????

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I've had a colony about the same size as your's for about a month and they have already produced offspring. I keep them at about 80*F and feed them oats and other grain products along with fish food, and the occasional piece of fruit. They also have an inch deep substrait of peat and lots of egg crate, and toilet/paper towel tube hides.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks for the replies guys! i really appreciate it! im going to give it all a try. im guessing temp. has been my biggest hinderance. ive only had them at room temp...about 70 degrees.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They don't like to be disturbed at all. Only check on them once a week and then only for feedings, don't mess with them. Mine were very slow to get started also and leaving them alone was the trick that worked for me.

rag

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my colony is booming, it just outgrew its 10gallon tank. i keep them in the basement, in a cabinet, with a heat mat on one side of the floor, about 30 paper towel tubes standing up (all rubber banded together)

by all means do not disturb them for long periods of time. i will usually open them up once ever 2 or 3 weeks even. they live solely on dog food, some fish flakes, crackers, even cereal. i have a very wide Tupperware top filled with water gels, which i fill every time i open them up.

the best advice is to keep temps roughly 80-95F, dark home is a must, no disturbances and plenty food.