Some Wild Florida Spiders :)

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds great, we'll plan a trip up there soon!

Anytime, Joe, don't hesitate to call and come on up. Found 5 species so far not recorded in GB's books ... and I am sure you and I can turn up more. We will have a blast!

Here is a photo of a juvenile Woodland Jumper that I took today, which I am very pleased with. More to follow :)

Woodland Jumper (Thiodina sylvana) - Juv.​

More will follow tomorrow :)

Enjoy!

Jack

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Beautiful photography. :)

I talked to Becca and she is up for it, we just need to figure out when a good time will be. Maybe the weekend after the 4th?

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Joe, and you guys are welcome anytime, so just let me know.

Oh, BTW, caught 3 more Ogre-Faced Spiders today ... and several other species. Here are a couple more photos of some other cool spiders Tina and I caught also ...

Bark Lynx (Hamataliwa grisea)

Peppered Jumper (Pelegrina galathea)​

Enjoy!

Jack

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks Joe, and you guys are welcome anytime, so just let me know.

Oh, BTW, caught 3 more Ogre-Faced Spiders today ... and several other species. Here are a couple more photos of some other cool spiders Tina and I caught also ...

Enjoy!

Jack

I do enjoy ogre faced spiders, they are quite fascinating. I was thinking of trying to get a captive breeding program of them going.

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here are 7 more :)

Bark Lynx (Hamataliwa grisea) - F

Brown Lynx (Oxyopes scalaris) - F

Striped Lynx (Oxyopes salticus) - F

Green Crab Spider (Synema viridans) - F

Rosemary Crab Spider (Misumenops bellulus) - F
Unusual Color Variant

Swift Crab Spider (Mecaphesa celer) - M

White-Banded Crab Spider (Misumenoides formosipes) - F
These spiders change color at will!

Enjoy!

Jack

Skordog

Arachnopeon
Absolutely incredible photos John! Love the detail and colors.

You mentioned in quite a few of your posts that you 'caught' these. Do you mean simply in a picture or do you catch them first and then set them up back at your house with appropriate backgrounds, etc. for a better picture?

I'm not a photographer but would love to get some tips on how best to get decent pictures of outdoor spiders.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

You mentioned in quite a few of your posts that you 'caught' these. Do you mean simply in a picture or do you catch them first and then set them up back at your house with appropriate backgrounds, etc. for a better picture?

I'm not a photographer but would love to get some tips on how best to get decent pictures of outdoor spiders.
I've been reading your blog and your article on macro lenses. I think I've found the answers to the questions I was asking. :D

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do you get them up where you are too?

unfortunatly no I dont know of any located up here in the north; however there are a few dealers like Todd who ship them out of lforida, and having an american girlfriend has its perks.

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Absolutely incredible photos John! Love the detail and colors.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

I've been reading your blog and your article on macro lenses. I think I've found the answers to the questions I was asking. :D

Sorry I missed this :)

Yes, oftentimes I catch them in the wild and "pose them" later. It is hard to find the perfect spider, in the perfect position, in the perfect lighting all at once ... so it is easier to take staged shots later when you have the chance to do so under more controlled conditions. However, I also take "wild" shots too that occasionally work out well.

Jack

PS: Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and I hoped the info was helpful ... working on another post for tomorrow :)

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

unfortunatly no I dont know of any located up here in the north; however there are a few dealers like Todd who ship them out of lforida, and having an american girlfriend has its perks.
Oh, okay, I get it now :)

Jack

Elfpunk19

Arachnopeon
pictures

the pictures you took of all the spiders were very beautiful, I enjoyed looking at them very much and only wish that the wild spiders where I live were as colorful and divers as the ones you caught pictures of.

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the pictures you took of all the spiders were very beautiful, I enjoyed looking at them very much and only wish that the wild spiders where I live were as colorful and divers as the ones you caught pictures of.

Thank you very much!

Florida is a great state for spiders ... in fact, there are only 2 states in the US with more spider diversity than Florida, Texas and California, and that is due to their overall greater land mass.

Since you are in Texas, you should have plenty to choose from, so maybe you could hook up with an expert in your area who will show you how to find them. South Texas in particular should have a bunch!

Jack

Skordog

Arachnopeon
Looks like someone painted those patterns on there with a brush.

Incredible!

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is an absolutely beautiful species, found only in Palmetto fronds in the Ocala National Forest :)

Jack

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is beautiful I especially love the spots and different colors.
Yes, the spots almost look like heavily-painted lips blowing kisses ... the Kiss of Death :D

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

Mrs. L Bishopi is a good looking lady, and a Floridian treasure.
Thank you for sharing your art.

Well said, Richard, and thank you for commenting :)

You must really like this spider, as this is your first post since you joined back in 2006!

Jack

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is a more "natural" shot I took of her today :D

Red Widow (Latrodectus bishopi)
Canon EOS 7D | EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro Lens
1/20 | f/10 | ISO 320
Natural Light | Tripod | Remote Switch​

Taken in natural light, under cloud cover, using a 2-image stack done by hand.

Jack