some spiderling husbandry questions

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
recently acquired several spiderlings and i have a few questions.

the most pressing of which is feeding them, i put several pin head crickets that are abouth 1/4th the size of my spiderlings(which are smaller then my pinky fingernail.)

do these small crickets pose any threat to the spiderlings? if they molt will they be vulnerable to such a tiny cricket? is it a problem that some of my deli containers housing slings have a large amount of these tiny crickets in them? (in one case i opened a container to put in only a few and it must have been at least a dozen or two crix jumped into the spider container)

i use a water bottle lid filled 1/4th of the way with water but it is deeper then the spiderlings are big, could this be a problem?

any info would help i have never raised spiderlings before.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You should only feed 1 cricket at a time to a spiderling that size. There is no need for a water dish for one that size.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You should only feed 1 cricket at a time to a spiderling that size. There is no need for a water dish for one that size.
i agree. or you could give them pre-killed medium or large cricket abdomens. (if they will take pre-killed) and Brian is right...no water dish needed. just mist the substrate...(depending of the species of spider that is)

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
one is a king baboon
one is a brazilian salmon
one is a haitian curly
and one is a zebra

how do i remove the extra crickets they are so tiny i can barely see them let alone pick them up

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
With prey items that small I have never been able to find the remains on a consistent basis.... so just keep and eye out... sometimes you will see a spot of mold developing and that will be the remains of whatever was given and remove it.

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have just decided to change the substrate in each container to remove all the crickets, i dont want to risk thier lives in infancy anymore then i have to even with crix the size of a grain of salt, if i choped up a superworm and put it in there would they eat it? half of a super worm is still about 10x the size of the spider

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
if i choped up a superworm and put it in there would they eat it? half of a super worm is still about 10x the size of the spider
They will eat what they can, and it will be much easier for you to pick out the leftovers. I fed pre-killed regular crickets to my slings from the first day I got them.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, you can cut up worms, you can also feed cricket legs or a slightly larger cricket if you crush its head.