Some Shinisaurus crocodilurus

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The cages in the background look like the Agama international cages. Are those yours or were you in Alabama when you took those pics? Oddly enough I stopped by my computer on my way downstairs to retreive my sprayer. I needed to spray our shinnie cages and I saw this thread. Beautiful specimens.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Gorgeous! And they look like they pack some attitude lol

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The cages in the background look like the Agama international cages. Are those yours or were you in Alabama when you took those pics? Oddly enough I stopped by my computer on my way downstairs to retreive my sprayer. I needed to spray our shinnie cages and I saw this thread. Beautiful specimens.
They are mine and I was in Alabama when I took them. This may explain:
LINK

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nevermind. Just looked at the website, your username, and the disappearance of Timo's posts... I think I've put two and two together. Sent you a PM.

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ha. I was wondering when someone would pick up on that. Very observant of you!

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am glad to see this beautiful reptile in the hands of someone who really cares.

Take into mind that you can keep and breed varanus varius in Alabama. Good luck

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice! Looks almost like the fence lizards around here in the front area; not the tail. Fence lizards on steroids.

jere000

Arachnosquire
Nice I don't see those to often.What kind of monitors do you work with if you have any?

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
we have just started working with red and yellow ackies but probably won't have anything for sale for at least a year or two.

jere000

Arachnosquire
we have just started working with red and yellow ackies but probably won't have anything for sale for at least a year or two.
Nice could you post up some enclosure pictures I think monitor enclosures are awesome.

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The monitors aren't in their final housing. They are in temporary enclosures but will be moved outside like the rest of our animals.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Best of luck to you guys with this endeavor! Maybe I'll get some eastern water dragons from yall sometime.

Gallotia sound like a great choice-I'm assuming the monitors will be outdoors for only part of the year?

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Best of luck to you guys with this endeavor! Maybe I'll get some eastern water dragons from yall sometime.
Thank you! We have babies now if you are interested.

Gallotia sound like a great choice-I'm assuming the monitors will be outdoors for only part of the year?
The Gallotia are every neat. Basically an apartment appropriate sized tegu that barks.

The monitors will more than likely be brought in during the winter. We are toying with some new ideas but they have to be tested before being put into action.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you! We have babies now if you are interested.

The Gallotia are every neat. Basically an apartment appropriate sized tegu that barks.

The monitors will more than likely be brought in during the winter. We are toying with some new ideas but they have to be tested before being put into action.
Gallotia are very cool.....Let me know when you have some of those available. I want to get a small group started over here. We have a long list of lizards we're still looking for and you just happen to have 3 of them at your place.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wonder how well Tiliqua scincoides scincoides would do for you guys. Yes-they are rather uncommon in the states but they basically live in the same aras as Physignathus leuseurii does(be interesting to know where in OZ the original imports came from).

Do Gallotia need UVB when kept inside-or merely a hotspot? Coming from a cooler region I'd imagine their needs when kept indoors aren't as hard to fullfill as the typical, say, monitor(ackies and other monitors which need high basking temps and background temps being a good example).

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wonder how well Tiliqua scincoides scincoides would do for you guys. Yes-they are rather uncommon in the states but they basically live in the same aras as Physignathus leuseurii does(be interesting to know where in OZ the original imports came from).

Do Gallotia need UVB when kept inside-or merely a hotspot? Coming from a cooler region I'd imagine their needs when kept indoors aren't as hard to fullfill as the typical, say, monitor(ackies and other monitors which need high basking temps and background temps being a good example).
I am guessing Tiliqua scincoides scincoides would probably do well here. I however can't really get into BTS and the main thing i like about breeding lizards is working with species I like.

Bert got his original stock of AWD from New Zealand.

As for the Gallotia they definetly need UVB. They are diurnal and like to bask. We wrote up our own care sheet for them and it will be going up on the site soon.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haha-tis very true to breed what you like. How about Hemisphaeriodon gerrardi? Kind of like mini Corucia-minus claws/tropical needs.

I have a 6 x 6 x 8 bird aviary type thing that if I could convince the folks would love to put a few of these in. Seems like they'd be a good species for this.

Last edited:

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That is a species that I have thought about. I really like the look of the babies. It is a species that I will look into for sure.