Some return to normal

captmarga

Arachnobaron
With the exception of digging up the E. murinus, all are accounted for (see Cold Weather disaster thread). Five dead of 59. They all seem to be behaving in their normal fashion. OBT tried to fang me Angry H. lividum jumped at me. colorvillosus flicked hairs at me. So I gave crickets to my two "guaranteed eaters", my Juvi LP and my Pamphobeteus sp (Fortunato is his name). Both grabbed them with their normal alacrity and are enjoying the meal.

Though I realize I might still lose some, they all seem to be as normal as possible, in their usual poses, grooming, moving around some, or in their favorite place in their tank. I thank the Tarantula Gods I go to them in time and did not lose more.

Monday will be a feasting day, I hope!

Marga

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I'm sorry for your losses, but I'm happy that it didn't turn out worse than it did.

Mez

Arachnoknight
Can I ask which species didn't tolerate the cold?
Glad most pulled through!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
What did the temps get down to? I had the power get knocked out for 5 days earlier this year and even near the fireplace temps were consistently high 40s/low 50s...luckily lost only some ghost mantis hatchlings:mad: & a centipede.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I don't know how long the power was out, but it was in the 40s when I thought to look at the temp. Was much more concerned with saving everyone. The crickets seem to have recovered, too.

P. pulchar (huge sob, as I just got her...) H. incei (same as pulchar), one baby OBT (sacmates all alive, but he was due a molt), cyangnothus blue fang - had just molted... and my unknown, Conundrum. Looks like the E murinus may not make it, I finally dug her up.

So six in all of 59. Several have eaten lunch with complete normality today. Some are grooming, some are webbing. Most seem to be acting as they usually do. I put the big girls back in their homes with the exception of Mae West, who got an apartment, and she's upset about it. My big LP kicked hairs like crazy at me for getting her out of the deli cup and back in her house.

I was shocked the little 2i and 3i Rosea slings are perfectly fine. So is my huge 7" MM A. metallica, and the MM LP on loan. One just never knows.

Marga

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
rosea are VERY resilient..I had a MF that survived 35 degrees for a couple of weeks,and 40s at night for a month or more( long story)She is perfectly fine.Since the Atacama is so darn nasty,they can handle just about anything thrown at them.Sorry to hear about the losses though..

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Oh, my big roseas got back to normal first. It was the tiny little slings that amazed me. Thankfully my tiniest favorite recovered quickly. When my MM OBT threw a temper tantrum, I was never so glad to be nearly fanged in my life!!!

I can't stop going around the room looking at all of them, and making sure they look normal or have moved. I feel so bad, as if I could have done anything about the weather...

My house will be another disaster when I do get back home, with frozen pipes and an overflowed sink.

I think I need more chocolate now.

Marga

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm glad to hear your losses weren't TOO extensive (even though one loss is one loss too many, so six would just crush me).

Chin up, lady. :)