some really stupid questions from a noob

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok well i have this dumb question about tarantula nick-names.
first, when they are referred to as "T's" does T stand for "tarantula" or "Theraphosid"? second, why are they sometimes referred to as "slings"?:?

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Long ago it was "s'ling(s)" =spiderling(s)... but it has been shortened to sling... easier and quicker to type... :)

...and no question is too stupid... ask and you will learn!

There are many people here who will help you with any and all questions, and they will do their best to teach you well. This is one way the Hobby survives... learning, teaching, getting to know everything you need to know to be a serious and responsible Hobbyist.

One day it may be YOU who answers a "noobie", and you can pass on what you have learned! :clap: S.

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There Are No Stupid Questions.

Not sure about the "T"'s question. Im about 80% sure that its referring to Tarantula though.

Sling is an abbreviation of spiderling. :p

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
"T" most deffinatly means tarantula and a "sling" is a spiderling and if you dont know already a "spiderling" is a baby tarantula. after the reach 2"-2.5" i stop calling them slings.

Also please do ask questions! the more you ask the more you learn!;)

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have You Hugged A Spider Today?

Also, the more you learn the more you wonder many things.{D
Knowledge is the only cure for Apathy!

Typically Apathy occurs in lack of facing a Fear-
and Humans shun/fear what they do not know!

<3 Please friend- ask questions, learn everything you can.

Only then will you be able to infect others!
We must spread the "LOVE A SPIDER" Virus.

Consider it the LSI or LSV!

Someday spreading to all continents as the Tvirus did.... Perhaps someday- every home on the planet will have spoiled-like-royalty arachnids!

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Grammatically speaking we should be calling them "Ts". There's no need for the apostrophe and it is in fact a syntax error.

And as everyone else has said "slings" is just an abbreviated form of "spiderlings".

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Knowledge is the only cure for Apathy!

Typically Apathy occurs in lack of facing a Fear-
and Humans shun/fear what they do not know!

<3 Please friend- ask questions, learn everything you can.

Only then will you be able to infect others!
We must spread the "LOVE A SPIDER" Virus.

Consider it the LSI or LSV!

Someday spreading to all continents as the Tvirus did.... Perhaps someday- every home on the planet will have spoiled-like-royalty arachnids!
Just read your LSV thread, quite entertaining.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Grammatically speaking we should be calling them "Ts". There's no need for the apostrophe and it is in fact a syntax error.
Not to knit-pick but I think T's is correct. The apostrophe takes the place of missing letters:

Cannot => Can't
I am => I'm
Tarantulas => T's

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not to knit-pick but I think T's is correct. The apostrophe takes the place of missing letters:

Cannot => Can't
I am => I'm
Tarantulas => T's
It's not a contraction we're talking about here, where we're bringing words together. It's only one word we're talking about here. Were we using more than just the "T" different rules might apply but as it stands, using the word "T's" implies possession. Not to knit-pick but you're wrong. Have a great day.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No knit-picking but they are not tarantulas, but Theraphosids {D

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
It's not a contraction we're talking about here, where we're bringing words together. It's only one word we're talking about here. Were we using more than just the "T" different rules might apply but as it stands, using the word "T's" implies possession. Not to knit-pick but you're wrong. Have a great day.
A contraction is the shortening of a word, syllable, or word group by omission of internal letters. Cannot is one word which uses an apostrophe to shorten, or omit, letters. Tarantula's would imply possession. T's implies that there are letters dropped from the word. All in all, who cares. I just like Tarantula's:rolleyes:{D.

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
XD i like how this thread went from aiding an arachnooblet in learning Tarantula facts to an english lesson. :p

Technically speaking, "Ts" would be correct. The apostrophe would only be used when showing possession because it is an abbreviated noun. ;]

I do believe however- I myself am guilty of inserting a misc apostrophe once in a while. :razz: Perhaps, since it is not a publicly accepted [i.e Webster] abbreviation, it shouldn't need disputing and should be left up to discretion alone?

Last edited: