Some random pics... DU connections beware

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I caught them in gopher holes in southern Alberta. I have males and females, and they look just like that, but they don't have the black widow violin on the underside of the abdomen.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I caught them in gopher holes in southern Alberta. I have males and females, and they look just like that, but they don't have the black widow violin on the underside of the abdomen.
Would need a pic to help you with that one. Females you found, are they big like female widows? Are they red? This one is about a half inch, but the females are about the size of a smaller hesperus. But, no doubt that what you came across is NOT bishopi. I can see the headlines now... Rare and deadly Red Widow found in Alberta! Stay tuned, story at 11:00! :D ;)

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Upon closer inspection they are not red widows. They are all still rather small. I am sure they are widows of some sort. They have black abdomens with white markings, but the markings are somewhat different than those of the bishop.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bishopi sling- bad molt. Lived for a couple days like this..tried to help, but ended up putting it out of its misery.

Pallidus male...

Pal sling cup...

Steatoda paykulliana w/slings...

My fav S.grossa. Almost believe last molt was final ..wishful thinkin'...

"Wastelands" 'pumpkin' Steatoda...

"Wastelands" grass spider...

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am pretty sure it is S. grossa that I have and that I was mixing up with that widow.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Working on a now long overdue web project that driving me crazy and taking much of my time. Pretending to be a programmer like I pretend to know something about spiders ..I do ok until it gets difficult and I actually have to know something. :wacko: :p This crap plus kissing arse everyday trying to get on another gig in a different industry, the yard/house renovation, relationship big step plans :)rolleyes: God, what am I doing) , sister having her baby, friends needing their #'up'd puters fixed, other clients crying cause I have no time to do their $hat, server issues...jeese..and oh, yeah, hundreds of spiders to feed ...great hobby for when you're busy. :rolleyes:
Really no time for my inverts ...I havnt even gone to any of the hikes. Instead just smoking more cigs... you know...to keep the weight off. :unsure: :rolleyes: :D
Got my feeding down. Going at it a little bit each day. Keeping problematic slings on my puter desk so they dont get lost within the piles of sling cups. But its not the feeding that gets neglected so much compared to all the other stuff, like transfers, sac collection, breeding projects, trades, etc etc ..I try to do a few things that I can do in 5 or 10 minutes which doesnt make much of a dent.
Whine, whine, whine ..anyway... :D
Had to deal with a few spidy related "issues" last night...figured I may as well pull the camera out.

Geos will play dead even when in the most ridiculous positions :lol: ...
Shes also very weak (her legs) because she reached finale molt while still in a .75oz cup. Widows need to move around at least a bit and use them legs! Ive had a few widows with weak lanky curvy legs that all were cases of small cup abuse. I try not to allow this to happen.
This one seems ok..she just wants to play dead like a typical geo...

Big bishopi male...

checking out the food at the party...

Laos...

pallidus Ive had for awhile now. Her sisters have died, but she keeps going strong. I got lucky and was able to mate her... but she has a colorful past. When/if the sacs hatch, Ill be happy.

I dont recommend handling latros that have sacs, let alone handling them with their sacs. But whatever. Pals seem to be the least "aggressive" of all the latros I have. Probably relatively safe...ymmv and keep the karma strong kind of thing.

She had enough. Pulled out of her jar, fondled by huge hairless gorilla, sacs taken away and then left, curled up on unfamiliar ground, weeping. Sad little princess. :mellow: :lol: :lol:

Bunch of S.paykulliana w/slings shots...

\

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks for taking the time to post the awesome pics! :worship:

I love the size of the S. paykulliana! Looks to be larger than the L. pallidus, and almost as large as the Laos sp.! These come in yellow too, right? I've seen pictures of them with white stripes as well. Are those just immature? When do the young start to color up?

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not exactly, supposedly they have a neurotoxin similar in effects to Latrodectus, only milder.

Last edited:

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
heh those pallidus make me think of friday the 13th. :D great pics buthus!

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those Steatoda are amazing!
they're harmless right?
From what i understand, they do make anti-venom for them (??)...but once again I cant find my source ...so screw it... their harmless. :D ...until proven otherwise.
Lately I've made it perfectly clear to my spiders ..my health insurance has run out and if any of you gals bite me.. causing pain, sickness and medical bills ...Ill stop feeding you. And, no more misting, fresh air, boy toys, phone privileges ..nothing. Stuck in a jar, completely ignored by your god. :D

heh those pallidus make me think of friday the 13th
Dont know that movie well. Whats the connection?

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think some hospitals use Latrodectus antivenom for Steatoda bites. I remember reading a site that talked about Latrodectism in Steatoda bites but I don't remember if it occured or didn't.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have also read that about the antivenom. I can't remember where, and also read that mactan antivenom works, at least to some good degree, for any Latro bite it's been tried on. Probably Wikipedia... :rolleyes:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hah... never would have thought of that. :D

I find pals the most amazing latros because...well.. they be white! When I lug my spidys around to show them off to people, the white widows are not as well received as I would have thought they'd be. It seems to depend a lot on the position that the widow is in though. When people see it in the classic "widow hanging in web" side view they tend be more wow'd by it. But, pals tend not to be in that position when theres stuff going on...like huge mammals looking at them. Instead they usually are seen hunkered down, plugging their little "funnel" den which allows only a rear dorsal view. When people see that view the majority of them say..eeeeewww..yuk! looks like a big bloated tick! :D