Some quick Illinois outings

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All these pics were taken far up north, near Chicago. There are reports of 'saugas up here, but we've yet to run into one. These pics were taken at local forest preserves. Not much, but I figured Id share:

Caterpillar of sorts:

Grasshopper:

T. aridifolia shots:

Bad hair day:

Crab spider:

Kriegan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:worship: Wow!! I'll say this really quick 'cause I'm getting ready to go out but I'm impressed man absolutely sharp and amazing pics:clap: They look like postal cards!!:clap: :clap: What slr camera are you using?

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the comments! Its not an SLR, its a simple Kodak. I wish I had a DSLR with a nice macro, but heck, theyre so expensive. Maybe one day soon... Anyways, here are some more.

Misumenoides formosipes:

Not bug/herp related, but what the heck...

Another M. formosipes (with fly in its mouth):

Leaf-footed nymph:

Hummingbird moth:

Shield backed katydid:

Wolf spider with babies:

S. dekayi:

Zelus spp (assassin) nymph:

Takin a sip:

C. sexguttata:

Spiny-backed orb weaver:

Grass spider:

N. americanus:

N. sipedon takin a bubblebath:

N. sipedon:

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Really nice shots. I take it these are from this summer?

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep! Most of these were shot in July and August, thats when I started to go different places to look for critters. :)

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks man! It was quite funny to see it sitting there in the turbulent water.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice shots! I've lived in the chicagoland area most of my life, and I've never seen a spiny backed orb weaver here. I've found them out of state, but never around Chicago.

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I do some hiking and insect photography and I can only imagine the patience it must have taken to get some of those shots! Wow! I love the mantid pics and am especially impressed with the tiger beetle shot, as the darn things always fly away before I can focus properly. Nice pics! :worship:

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,
Great photo's. I especially love the crab spider in the purple flower. It almost looks surreal. And I had no idea there were such things like hummingbird moth's! Very cool. Up far north, like palatine? Again, great photo's!
Jon

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the comments guys!

Jon, I was living in Warrenville when I took these shots, I have since moved further west in Illinois. :)

Erik, go to Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve in Darien, IL and youll find TONS of the spiny-backed orbs. There are so many that it becomes downright annoying walking into their webs every 2 minutes. What makes it worse is that they always build thier webs at face-level. :rolleyes:

Joanie, thanks for the comments! The tiger beetles are a nightmare to shoot. If you even come close they fly away. :wall: This one sat still for about 5 seconds, long enough for me to get close enough and get a decent focal point and get one single shot off. Came out pretty good, although I wish I could have gotten a bit closer though.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
'A simple Kodak'? I have a p880, and can't take macro shots such as those :/

Really cool shots. The bubblebath one and the flower/crabpider one in particular.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It would be nice to know if any sort of converter-lens was used as well, yeah.

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No lens was used. Its a fixed lens camera, no interchangeable lens. ;) Its just a combo of finding the right light, angle, exposure, etc...

diadematus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its just a combo of finding the right light, angle, exposure, etc...
But that is always the case. My little fixed-lens digital simply won't focus that closely, even in macro-mode. But one of these days... :rolleyes:

-Kevin

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No lens was used. Its a fixed lens camera, no interchangeable lens. ;) Its just a combo of finding the right light, angle, exposure, etc...
But whaaat caaamera aare you uusing? :) I presumed the lens was fixed, since you said Kodak, but if you didn't use a converter(add-on) lens even, with what model did you get closeups such as those? Though, if you don't want to answer you obviously don't have to :) Nice pictures in either case.

Last edited: