Some questions...

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Yes, more questions. I know, I ask a lot of them. I just want to get all the info that I can. So, first off, is coconut fiber substrate a good substrate for all T's? I just want to know if I will be needing any other substrates. Second, how might I heat my T's? It is becoming winter where I live, meaning it is going to get very cold very fast. That is all, and thanks in advance.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Either coconut fiber, untreated potting or topsoil are all suitable substrate's for T's, I personally use coco fiber for all my specimens. In terms of of heating them avoid heat mats, pads etc.. If the temperature drops opt to using a space heater to heat the entire room, it's alot safer for the specimens.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Is coconut fiber suitable for desert T's also? And, any sites with the variety that PetcenterUSA has?

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All these questions are answered hundreds of times on these boards. I promise with one quick search, you could easily find them. ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Coco fiber is suitable for all tarantulas. Many of us don't use it because of the cost, but it's fool proof and you should use it.

A good beginner book is The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Some of the info is outdated (and in some cases flat out wrong), but it's a good starting point that's very easy to read.

You may also want to check out the classifieds on this site to buy spiders. The best deals I've ever gotten were through there. Just read reviews first.

Heat the room with a space heater. No heat mats! Ever!

Any more? Bring em on :D Although it would be ten times faster for you to just search. These are very basic questions that have been asked and answered a million times. Go on Google, type your search, and type site:arachnoboards.com after it in the same search bar. It will only display results from this site. If you don't want to, no skin off my nose. I don't mind answering, and others share the same sentiment clearly.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use coco fiber on all my T's and I had one girl tell me I can't use it for desert species because it is too wet and they don't do well with high humidity. I just told her coco fiber is only wet if you pour water on it. She looked at me with a blank stare on her face for a few seconds then just shook her head and walked away. I'm not sure what was going through her mind but something tells me she still didn't get it.