Some questions on my new inverts

Best option of feeder for tiny slings and mantis and scorpion

• Total voters

Psilocybin

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, so my first feeding day a after leaving then to settle for a few days went half successful with 4/8 eaters:

T. Albo, did
D pentaloris, did
Orchid mantis, did
Nhandu chromatus did
H spinifer(Asian forest scorpion) didn't
Nhandu carapoensis didnt
P sazimai didn't
Lasiadorra parahybana didn't
I had to downsize my h spinifer enclosure because it felt was abit to big, but its now 2 days after he rejected food should I try again today? As I know he hasn't fed since I got him.. As for the 2 ts that didn't eat both are 1cm when should I try again for them as they also havnt eaten with me, how often should I feed my 2nd Instar orchid mantis, and also I'm going to the petstore today I already have crickets whick I've put into a bigger tub and added food and a dirt egg laying tray to hopefully take out soon to breed my own pinhead and crickets, but should I get mealworms morio worms or waxworms? As I know some tiny spiderlings prefer and also mantis prefer sofer prey, how long do worms last?
Sorry for the questions I couldn't find the answers I was looking for

Also what's your opinions on water dishes for these species

Last edited by a moderator:

AdieSWA

Arachnopeon
Get the Mantis on fruit flies or extra small crickets. What size are your Ts? Are you based in the UK as I'm sure I saw a similar username on RFUK?

Sorry I've just seen the 2 that didn't eat are 1cm, I would go fruit flies or small crickets for them also. Just give them time to settle in a bit

Psilocybin

Arachnopeon
Get the Mantis on fruit flies or extra small crickets. What size are your Ts? Are you based in the UK as I'm sure I saw a similar username on RFUK?
We don't have xtra small crickets or fruit flies around here so I'm tryigg to breed my own atm so it's first meal was a smaller medium cricket which it loved but heard big crickets are bad, and yes I'm based in Norfolk, and also rfuk but havnt been active on there as this is more active

AdieSWA

Arachnopeon
I mean at those sizes you can pre-kill mealies and cut them up and try killing the crickets. Crickets aren't bad when the spiders are bigger but at 1cm they'd be too big. I'm based on the Wirral near Liverpool, most pet shops in the UK will happily order special requests for livefood (not PetsAtHome) as it makes little difference to them they just want your custom.

Also some very good online retailers for livefood.

Psilocybin

Arachnopeon
We don't have xtra small crickets or fruit flies around here so I'm tryigg to breed my own atm so it's first meal was a smaller medium cricket which it loved but heard big crickets are bad, and yes I'm based in Norfolk, and also rfuk but havnt been active on there as this is more active
The rest are on prekilled cuts of cricket which one the small slings ate and the bigger penalris had a mediumcricket live which it has eaten

So I'm thinking the best thing to do it go to my petstore, jollies.. And get some mealies as I already have crickets and money is abit tight until few weeks

AdieSWA

Arachnopeon
I love how you've put cuts of cricket like cuts of meat haha. Yeah smaller Ts will definitely scavenge bits left about.

Ron Fults

Arachnopeon
I agree, prekill their prey. It's difficult to get crickets small enough. If your wanting a long term solution and are wanting to feed live pret I would recommend starting a red runner colony.
Once a week or every other week I will go into my colony and pull out some egg cases and put them into a ventilated deli container. I keep the container inside the bin with the colony. When the egg cases hatch I have plenty of prey even for my smallest inverts.
On a side note I hate, hate dealing with fruit flys and crickets smell.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I get my livefood online. You can pretty much get every kind of livefood delivered to your door.

Psilocybin

Arachnopeon
I get my livefood online. You can pretty much get every kind of livefood delivered to your door.
I'm going to be placing an order on 16th for my livefood as its much cheaper than petshops, plus decor/equipment too.... And maybe a few new species

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm going to be placing an order on 16th for my livefood as its much cheaper than petshops, plus decor/equipment too.... And maybe a few new species
Aye it works out a lot cheaper than pet shops. Plus the place I use the more you order the more you get knocked off. And if you order before 12:00 it arrives the day after the vast majority of the time.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I like mealworms for inverts below a certain size because there are also baby ones and they can be cut into pieces if smaller ones are needed. Although, I suppose that's true for other feeders. I know it's easy and convenient to breed mealworms, without the noise and smell of crickets, but I'm not sure about the others.

Psilocybin

Arachnopeon
I like mealworms for inverts below a certain size because there are also baby ones and they can be cut into pieces if smaller ones are needed. Although, I suppose that's true for other feeders. I know it's easy and convenient to breed mealworms, without the noise and smell of crickets, but I'm not sure about the others.
Could you tell me more about breeding mealies?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Could you tell me more about breeding mealies?
Take any pupae out of the main colony and put them in a ventilated tub of wheat bran, once they moult into beetles just leave them to it, if any more mealworms pupate then keep them separately and wait for them to moult into beetles before adding them to the beetle bang party (the beetles will eat some of the pupae otherwise).

Eggs take 1-3 weeks to hatch, newly hatched mealworms are only a couple of millimetres in length so they'll take a little while to grow large enough for slings.

DSC_0001.jpg

Exotics Unlimited

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
baby meal worms are the best feeders for smaller slings imo. Easy to breed and wont harm your t. what more can you ask for