Some Questions for a 1" Poecilotheria fasciata

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
Hi,
I just ordered a Poecilotheria fasciata from Swift's among others. This one is my first arboreal. My g-d she's friggin' fast !!! Some questions. The sling came in a small solo up. 1. What should I rehouse the sling to now and what do I put in with it? 2. At this size can they be handled? I know their venom is a bit more potent. Not that I would because it is so damn fast. Do they slow down when they get older? I think that's about it for now. Thanks in advance.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey, congrats, though i wouldn't have dared getting a pokie as my first arboreal :eek:.

i don't know what a solo up is, but she will do fine in any small container that will offer her a few inches of hight. and yes, the venom is quite potent, so i wouldn't really recommend handlung them at all. i know that some people do, but that's your risk to take. and the risk that they run away is even greater ;) - she won't get slower, adult can run even faster as they have a lot more legspan... some calm a bit down when they get older, but not all of them. but all of them will run if you frighten them.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pokie sling

Give the sling a container about 2.5 times as wide as her, and about 3 times height, so she can move up and down as she wants, with a branch or something to stretch out on. No, they wont get slower as they get older. Some pokies are somewhat calm, but still can RUN when startled, its up to you whether to handle/ hold, but generally not recommended with pokies. Congrats, pokies are some of my favorite Ts.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
I just ordered a Poecilotheria fasciata from Swift's among others. This one is my first arboreal. My g-d she's friggin' fast !!! Some questions. The sling came in a small solo up. 1. What should I rehouse the sling to now and what do I put in with it? 2. At this size can they be handled? I know their venom is a bit more potent. Not that I would because it is so damn fast. Do they slow down when they get older? I think that's about it for now. Thanks in advance.
1. She can prolly stay in the solo cup for a while. If you can put some peat in there to help maintain a little humidity it would help. As youngsters they also burrow a tad. They can actually stay in fairly small containers for a while. Its not much fun to look at, but they are used to staying in confined areas. If you need to move her a 40 dram vial may be good.

2. At that size, or any size, I would not reccomend handling them. I do not advocate handling at any size, but at that size it is more likely to take off and not be founf. It will pretty much remain that fast for its whole life, it will just be a larger target as it gets older. Venom also comes into play. Look as the Bite Reports section for info on Pokie bites. From what I have read they are not fun.