Some questions about pinktoe tarantula

Durantpie

Arachnopeon
So I recently got a Pinktoe Tarantula. Its my first ever T, so you can understand I've been a tad bit worried, and I have a few questions. I've wanted a T since I was a kid (I've always loved arachnids and insects). I got my Pinktoe shortly before Christmas in 2016. This Pinktoe is not a brand new T, and it was prievously owned. The previous told me to wait to feed it, because they believed it was going to moult. The T still has not moulted since that time, and didn't seem to be showing any signs if premoult (besides not eating). I've tried feeding it with crickets every now and again, it's only eaten once. I have read that most T's can go for months without food if they choose, and worrying too much does not help, so I'll refrain from that.

Next, Im not sure the enclosure is perfect for the species, it shouldn't be a BAD enclosure per se, but it could be better. The substrate is a kind of thin dry sand that I've heard arboreals dislike wallking on because it sticks to their feet (which I have seen when I spotted the T webbing). The only form of a "den" available is a small half-circle log that is clearly meant for the ground, but I wasn't sure about it being on the ground so I tilted it onto its side against the enclosure wall, and after awhile the T did web the sides to the glass, and did crawl behind it (whilst still on the glass). After a few months I was told by a family member (who knows the previous owner closely) that I should have something on the ground for it to go in because it would get tired staying on the glass all the time, but decided to try it and returned the log to its original position (roughly two weeks ago I did this).

Which brings me to my final point, I felt I needed to remove the T from its enclosure to make this change, and I read that Pinktoes can be quite skittish and jittery, but when I removed mine from the enclosure, it was somewhat different to what I was expecting. The T showed almost no concern to being gestured to move (mind you I was being very very gentle, only lightly touching its legs, not the abdomen) and it pretty much refused to move on its own, and when I returned it to the enclosure, I had to lift it out of the box and into the cage because it remained huddled in the corner (facing the corner) refusing to move.

I am unsure of all of this, and I sincerely apologize if this is too long, I tried to find this information elsewhere but couldn't. But through all of this I really have four (2 and 3 are somewhat similar) main questions. I just want to do whats best for my Pinktoe.

1. Is it normal to eat something as little as one cricket in the span of a couple months?

2. Do Arboreal Tarantulas ever need/want to be on the ground or some sort of flat surface, or do they prefer to always be on a vertical surface at height?

3. Can or will they tire from staying on surfaces such as the enclosure wall all of the time?

4. Is it normal/okay for this species to not have a very energentic reaction to being moved/not wanting to move?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399
post #3 will tell you everything. dont listen to that previous owner, they dont know what theyre talking about. post a pic of that cage as well... doesnt sound very well set up, no offense. Avics can be super fast, but tend to be calm compared to most other arboreals.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-care.291340/ care sheet i wrote up a little while back. theres lots of threads about avic care. check out the search function.

Durantpie

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your help. I take no offense, I am eager to make the correct changes for my spider. The photo is here You can see the log I spoke of above, a couple weeks prior I had it turned upright for a few months. (also on an unrelated note, all that webbing was done just an hour ago)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
hmm, is that a 8x8? or something larger? heres my exo tera Avic set up IMG_20170327_222025884.jpg
Id switch out that sub to something else like eco Earth or peat moss as well. Looks better and they can use it in their webs. keep that log vertical too. Avics rarely use the ground, providing a hide on the ground for a Avicularia turns out to be useless.

ignore those comments on your picture. some people tend to overreact...

Last edited:

Durantpie

Arachnopeon
The enclosure I have might just be an 8x8. Like I said, all of these aspects are from of the previous owner. If I need a taller enclosure, I will get one as soon as I am able (I have to go out of town to get one, there is no pet store in my community) I'll make the other changes that are more readily available such as the sub and the positioning of that log, but I feel as if there are probably better things than that log as well, it seems to be designed for the ground. Thanks again for all your help! (Also don't worry, I don't mind the comments, its the Internet :p though I am wondering about things like heat mats/lamps? I've done some research in the past and some say they can be dangerous, while others don't)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i was just wondering, 8x8 is what my 4.5" A avic is in and may be there for life, depending how big she gets. tarantulas dont need very large cages. they are perfectly fine in smaller ones. if its really big than id sell and buy a smaller plastic tub or something. exo tera are pretty expensive cages. i actually use a very similar log in my pis there, its just kind of covered in webs. important thing is to clutter up the top of the cage, these guys like to web and more anchor points help them get a hide set up faster.

Durantpie

Arachnopeon
That sounds good to me. I'll focus on the new substrate and more top clutter. I'll be sure to check back to your care sheet post if need be. Thanks again.

cold blood

Staff member
1. Is it normal to eat something as little as one cricket in the span of a couple months?

Depends where the t is in its molting cycle.....if its plump, and near molt, it may eat zero crickets for many months.

2. Do Arboreal Tarantulas ever need/want to be on the ground or some sort of flat surface, or do they prefer to always be on a vertical surface at height?

They can be anywhere they want to be.

3. Can or will they tire from staying on surfaces such as the enclosure wall all of the time?

No, absolutely not....that's a resting position very often. The ends of their feet have a pair of little hooks, known as tarsal claws, these are so fine they effortlessly grab even smooth things like glass. Beyond that, arboreals have large foot pads, which also aid in this grip.

In this pic, you can see these claws on the end of the closest foot on the wood (you will need to click on the picture) View media item 39074
4. Is it normal/okay for this species to not have a very energentic reaction to being moved/not wanting to move?

Tarantulas aren't energetic, staying in one place for extended periods is just what they do. Their typical inactivity is why so many of us have so many of them, so we can observe activity.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

1. Depends on the size of the T, the temps, where it's at in its growth cycle.

2. No. They do their very best to remain off the ground, see below

I've had other Avics walk upside down under webbing that was just half an inch above the substrate. It would have been easier for them to walk on the sub.

3. No

4. Yes, do not think that all encounters will go this smoothly. DO NOT be LULLED into a false sense of complacency. These are wild animals, case closed.

boina

Lady of the mites
The enclosure I have might just be an 8x8. Like I said, all of these aspects are from of the previous owner. If I need a taller enclosure, I will get one as soon as I am able (I have to go out of town to get one, there is no pet store in my community) I'll make the other changes that are more readily available such as the sub and the positioning of that log, but I feel as if there are probably better things than that log as well, it seems to be designed for the ground. Thanks again for all your help! (Also don't worry, I don't mind the comments, its the Internet :p though I am wondering about things like heat mats/lamps? I've done some research in the past and some say they can be dangerous, while others don't)
The comments on your pic where of course sarcasm. Please don't use a heat mat and definitely not a heat lamp. It's much safer to just keep your T at room temps.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Here's how I've set up my C. versicolor enclosure (they're kept pretty much identical).

DSC00001.JPG

- Change the substrate for coco fibre/peat/a mix of the two, keep it relatively dry.
- Provide branches to climb on and plenty of fake plants near the middle and top of the enclosure as anchor points for webbing, you can get cork tile backgrounds for those enclosures that can be cut to size but that's an optional feature I like to add.
- Provide a large water dish and keep it clean/full, I occasionally overflow the water dish to moisten some of the substrate around it and then let it dry out again, I don't ever mist the enclosure.

As for your questions:

Depends on temps/size/how close it is to a moult, as long as the abdomen still looks fairly plump (I.e. not shrivelled up) then it should be fine.

Most will generally try to avoid touching the ground if at all possible although several species from other genera begin life as burrowers and eventually forgo that lifestyle in favour of living off of the ground... They're not always on a vertical surface, they'll often include horizontal sections in their web tubes, they just don't like being on the ground if they can avoid it.

Nope, when they're close to a moult they can slip off the glass which is why it's better to provide alternate climbing apparatus/anchor points for webbing.

4. Is it normal/okay for this species to not have a very energetic reaction to being moved/not wanting to move?

Yeah, they generally like to take their time moving about unless they are fleeing from a perceived threat or trying to catch prey. They're some of the slower arboreal species but are still capable of short bursts of speed when required and they can jump too.