Some questions about Centipedes

Piricotaty

Arachnopeon
I was thinking to take care of a centipede but I have some questions. I live on Spain and there you can find Scolopendras Cingulata.

Can you catch a centipede and transfer it to a terrarium?
I can't buy centipedes for some personal reasons.

It's too difficult to take care of a Scolopendra Cingulata?
I'd like a centipede that don't need so much time.

Can you feed the Scolopendra without others arthropods?
I mean, if you can feed him with fruit or meat.

Some details about the terrarium?
How long should it be, soil type, temperature, humidity etc.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Can you catch a centipede and transfer it to a terrarium?
I can't buy centipedes for some personal reasons.
Yes
It's too difficult to take care of a Scolopendra Cingulata?
I'd like a centipede that don't need so much time.
No
Can you feed the Scolopendra without others arthropods?
I mean, if you can feed him with fruit or meat.
Probably not long-term. I don't recommend it. If dealing with live arthropods is what you don't want to do, they do fine on freshly prekilled prey.
Some details about the terrarium?
How long should it be, soil type, temperature, humidity etc.
Since you would be collecting it, just mimic their natural conditions, temp, etc.

olll

Arachnosquire
of course you can catch one. It not too difficult but still do your research. Insects only, you can feed dead ones. Do you research on the last one.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
maybe keep fish or some sort of pet that will eat processed foods or veggies only

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
maybe keep fish or some sort of pet that will eat processed foods or veggies only
Agreed. Though I recommend millipedes if you want to stay in the myriapod realm. They are detritivores that eat primarily rotten hardwood and rotten hardwood leaves. No need to ever feed them dead insects.

I wouldn't try feeding a centipede only isopods. Not sure how that would go.

Piricotaty

Arachnopeon
Agreed. Though I recommend millipedes if you want to stay in the myriapod realm. They are detritivores that eat primarily rotten hardwood and rotten hardwood leaves. No need to ever feed them dead insects.

I wouldn't try feeding a centipede only isopods. Not sure how that would go.
Well, that is a good Idea, the problem is that I don't know how to find that things on Spain. anyway, I will think it

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Well, that is a good Idea, the problem is that I don't know how to find that things on Spain. anyway, I will think it
Here're observations of millipedes in Spain. Nothing super impressive, but it's a start. There are also a lot of large, exotic millipedes for sale in the European hobby.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
..... Insects only, you can feed dead ones.
Centipedes in the wild are scavengers as much as predators. They will eat meat in a wide variety of forms. I have seen centipedes in caves feeding on dead bats, and I was given a centipede that was found feeding on a road-killed snake. In captivity I feed mine Gerber's Baby Food. But they also need variety in their diet, so I alternate feedings, giving them crickets one time and baby food the next.

Piricotaty

Arachnopeon
Centipedes in the wild are scavengers as much as predators. They will eat meat in a wide variety of forms. I have seen centipedes in caves feeding on dead bats, and I was given a centipede that was found feeding on a road-killed snake. In captivity I feed mine Gerber's Baby Food. But they also need variety in their diet, so I alternate feedings, giving them crickets one time and baby food the next.
The most I can do is feed him with isopods, maybe ants and maybe snails. The only problem is that I feel bad feed him with other animals. I'd like to feed him only with dead things and fruit. I was thinking that if they eat meat of some lil' vertebrates maybe they can eat meat of chiken or some meat from a supermarket xd.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The most I can do is feed him with isopods, maybe ants and maybe snails.
I have isopods in the larger cages with my centipedes, and they do not get eaten. I doubt that ants or snails would be eaten either. You might be better off keeping millipedes or some other animal that you can more comfortably and more easily maintain.

mellow

Arachnobaron
I have a friend that feeds his scolopendra polymorpha isopods and it seems to work for him, haven't tried it for myself though.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a friend that feeds his scolopendra polymorpha isopods and it seems to work for him, haven't tried it for myself though.
Interesting. I have a ten gallon terrarium with several S. polymorpha in it, and that's one of the cages I also keep isopods in. The isopods seem to be doing well.

Aron W

Arachnosquire
Wow! I didn’t know you could feed scolopendras baby food! Learn something new everyday.