Some question about breeding Theraphosa stirmi

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yup. And I agree with you saying in other threads that too many Ts are dying virgins. Plus, Theraphosas are massively underrated.
They're not for everyone, but they are the most impressive spiders on the planet. Like dinosaur relics that are still with us.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're not for everyone, but they are the most impressive spiders on the planet. Like dinosaur relics that are still with us.
Something about the way they come out of hiding like a bat out of hell to feed endears them to me, lol. Did you have any luck getting a viable sack out of your project?

cold blood

Staff member
+1. With all the wild caught stirmi being imported, we have an obligation to reproduce them. At some point there won't be any more coming in.
I think about this all the time, as most of them I see for sale seem to be wc, and that's a downright shame. More captive breeding is badly needed so there is no longer a need to import wc IMO

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
+1 I personally find them absolutely fascinating. I fully intend to try breeding them in the future. For the moment, I have zero breeding experience so it's not really something I can confidently commit to doing. Either way, I love the genus and definitely want to see CB become much more common.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Something about the way they come out of hiding like a bat out of hell to feed endears them to me, lol. Did you have any luck getting a viable sack out of your project?
No, they've all molted. But I do have 2.3 adults now, and will be trying another season of the Dating Game. One male is 10".

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, they've all molted. But I do have 2.3 adults now, and will be trying another season of the Dating Game. One male is 10".
Wow. Nice group. When I'm ready (whenever that'll be) maybe I'll hit you up for a male lol.

Gpappy31

Arachnopeon
just wanted to chime in. I am also in the process of paring my mature male with my 2 mature females. T. stirmi of course and both females coming off of a fresh molt 4 months ago.

So far I have had 2 insertions that I know of, and it's possible a few more unknown inesrtions considering I housed them over night, on separate occasions. I am keeping track of everything and will share my results on here. As a matter of fact I am switching my male over to my 2nd female starting this week who is 4 months off of a fresh molt as well and is mature.

I will try and get the reports from my other female posted on here some time soon.day or so