Some pics of substrate fauna

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I saw a ton of what at fisrt glance appeared to be mites, turns out to be spring tails. Also found alot of Hypoaspis miles. Sorry for the horrible quality, the pics were taken with a camera and the microscope and no adapter...;) Just thought ild share some pics, maybe we can get a nice thread going of benthic inverts. I know when I started out in the hobby I freaked everytime I saw a random tiny "bug".

Last edited:

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From my palaeontology studies many years ago, I seem to recall that benthic referred to organisms living at the bottom of the ocean or the bottom of a body of water. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
From my palaeontology studies many years ago, I seem to recall that benthic referred to organisms living at the bottom of the ocean or the bottom of a body of water. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Your right, I figured it was a general term for bottom dwellers, used a bit incorrectley..lol. Thanks for pointing that out.....hope the thread doesnt die;)

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's OK. I thought my memory was going on me there {D

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Obviously mine has, I took marine bio. less than 4 years ago...:eek: ...Anywho hopefully we get some nice pics of micro critters in terrariums.