Some pics of my Asian forest scorpion

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
It's a humble set up but he/she (we affectionately call "him" Blackie short for blackie chan) has lived and thrived here for 14 months now. Heat pad under the fat side but not under burrow any guesses on sex? I'll get some underside shots of blackie later this afernoon.

In one of these pics he is literally about to enter his burrow to the left just incase anyone is wondering where it is.

Attachments

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
Def need better pics to sex it but cute lil guy/girl anyways and a humble setup is really all they need anyways

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
thank you his always been highly aggressive so no handling he very quick too.

He needs a water change and a sponge clean and there's a mouldy cricket I have only noticed today( *embaressed* but I've been away for 10 days in Corfu and my house sitter doesn't do scorpions.

I'll get more pics up later today.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It's a humble set up but he/she (we affectionately call "him" Blackie short for blackie chan) has lived and thrived here for 14 months now. Heat pad under the fat side but not under burrow any guesses on sex? I'll get some underside shots of blackie later this afernoon.

In one of these pics he is literally about to enter his burrow to the left just incase anyone is wondering where it is.
Take the sponge out of the water dish. All sponges do is harbor bacteria which could be a major health concern (for both the Scorpion and yourself). The Scorpion is more than capable of drinking on its own from normal water.

You also need to bury that dish into the substrate. It is too tall and hard for it to try and clamor up there for a drink.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Take the sponge out of the water dish. All sponges do is harbor bacteria which could be a major health concern (for both the Scorpion and yourself). The Scorpion is more than capable of drinking on its own from normal water.

You also need to bury that dish into the substrate. It is too tall and hard for it to try and clamor up there for a drink.
Thanks for your input I will remove the sponge now however isn't there a risk of him drowning as I was told by the pet shop owner that he could drown in a bowl that deep.i normally boil it once a week to sterilise it but I'm looking at getting a flat dish because he likes to stand on top of the sponge a lot
Here he is doing his morning tai chi

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for your input I will remove the sponge now however isn't there a risk of him drowning as I was told by the pet shop owner that he could drown in a bowl that deep.i normally boil it once a week to sterilise it but I'm looking at getting a flat dish because he likes to stand on top of the sponge alot
Theoretically if it fell in and was unable to get back out and the dish was big enough that is possible. You should use a much flatter dish. One of those reptile ones that look like a flat rock usually works good. That way even if it does climb all the way in it is easy enough for it to climb back out without getting trapped. The rougher texture also allows for gripping, while that smooth texture of your current dish (porcelain?) does not allow for that.

I use souffle cups for most of my Scorpions and Tarantulas because I can just throw out the old one and replace with a new one. But for my P. imperators and Heterometrus spp. specimens I use these dishes because they do like to sit in them sometimes. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...1494686690&sr=8-6&keywords=reptile+water+dish

No sponge though. I just have the top of it reasonably level with the substrate and they will grab a drink or take a bath if desired. Easy enough for them to get back out.

Side note: pet stores rarely know much of anything about invertebrates, so in the future you should stick to this Forum for your Scorpion care inquiries.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
I am about to purchase that dish now so thank you for the link. One question:
Blackies tank is 30cm long by 22cm wide and he has never had any problems and seems "happy" if a scorpion has feelings at all?
Is that enough size or will he be better off with more room

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
There's vids of these guys submerging themselves completely in water. That being said, you still don't want it getting stuck in it's dish so I would still advise one that's more shallow. Just don't worry too much about it drowning in it. ;) I plan on setting up a nice little pond type area for my two in the tank I'm getting soon.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I am about to purchase that dish now so thank you for the link. One question:
Blackies tank is 30cm long by 22cm wide and he has never had any problems and seems "happy" if a scorpion has feelings at all?
Is that enough size or will he be better off with more room
Picture of the whole Enclosure would help. Though I can tell you that personally I would go a little bigger.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
There's vids of these guys submerging themselves completely in water. That being said, you still don't want it getting stuck in it's dish so I would still advise one that's more shallow. Just don't worry too much about it drowning in it. ;) I plan on setting up a nice little pond type area for my two in the tank I'm getting soon.
You have two in the same tank? I've read they can be communal however for me I'd rather not risk it at all much safer in his own tank alone, they don't get lonely do they?

Picture of the whole Enclosure would help. Though I can tell you that personally I would go a little bigger.
Waiting for my friend to come over I'll put the kettle on and take some pics including of blackie underside for sexing.

Thanks guys for your help btw.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You have two in the same tank? I've read they can be communal however for me I'd rather not risk it at all much safer in his own tank alone, they don't get lonely do they?

Waiting for my friend to come over I'll put the kettle on and take some pics including of blackie underside for sexing.

Thanks guys for your help btw.
Yes I keep them together (with their own species, don't keep different species together). Feed them well and make sure they have more hides than individuals so they can get away from one another if they want to be alone.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Sorry for the late reply things have been hectic here haven't had a chance to get what I'm now 99% sure is a him out however I managed to get a quick snap of his underside and the (pectines?) look too large to be female sorry about the poor quality of pic

Attachments

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Quick further question: when blackie gets mad he hisses a lot, do all Asian forest scorps do that or only certain types? Wondering if that could help
Narrow down exact ID.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Thanks for your input I will remove the sponge now however isn't there a risk of him drowning as I was told by the pet shop owner that he could drown in a bowl that deep.i normally boil it once a week to sterilise it but I'm looking at getting a flat dish because he likes to stand on top of the sponge a lot
Here he is doing his morning tai chi

One thing you can use as a water dish, something i use for my scorpions is the flat water tray at the bottom of the plastic plant pots, the ones form the black pots at walmart specifically. the pot are super cheap and i use them as hides for my T's and the trays at the bottom, pop them off and they are great Scorpion water dishes!

they are wide and shallow, and in the middle usually is a little raised part, like an island. fill it up, they can drink and walk through it all they want and they will never drown and to clean just pull it out, wipe it down refill and go.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Take detailed pictures of all sides and @Collin Clary can ID.
thank you I will get straight onto this tomorrow when I take full photos of the enclosure for darkness975.

One thing you can use as a water dish, something i use for my scorpions is the flat water tray at the bottom of the plastic plant pots, the ones form the black pots at walmart specifically. the pot are super cheap and i use them as hides for my T's and the trays at the bottom, pop them off and they are great Scorpion water dishes!

they are wide and shallow, and in the middle usually is a little raised part, like an island. fill it up, they can drink and walk through it all they want and they will never drown and to clean just pull it out, wipe it down refill and go.
that's actually a great idea although I've already ordered the dish darkness975 suggested I will keep this in mind for future pets, GREAT SUGGESTION!

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Sorry for the late reply. My life has been..interesting shall we say recently.

The reptile dish I ordered didn't turn up and I've messaged the seller without a reply so In the meantime I've put a waaay oversized dish in there and I have the exact measurements of the enclosure now I'll upload them in 2 mins

Attachments

kingofall

Arachnosquire
Sorry for the late reply. My life has been..interesting shall we say recently.

The reptile dish I ordered didn't turn up and I've messaged the seller without a reply so In the meantime I've put a waaay oversized dish in there and I have the exact measurements of the enclosure now I'll upload them in 2 mins
Update?