Some pics and Vaejovis question

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Had some fun yesterday with new camera.
Centruroides Margaritatus

Mesobuthus Martinesii

Liocheles Australasiae

Vaejovis Confusus and a question: how to determine gender of this cutie? Because of some unpleasant experience I have only this one left but it would be nice to find a pair for him/her.
I preserved moult so if there is a key - I could look for it with help of microscope.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i tell you one thing...i need you to send me some of those c. margaritatus asap ...haha

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From your pictures i would say your vaejovis is a male...Slim hipped with chunky chelae..

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only way I know of sexing Vaejovis is via pectines. Males, have a slight overlap and have more of a true "V" shape, where as females have a space inbetween they're pectines and show no indication of overlap. More like " \ /" than the males "\/".

Ps, my C marg have started to molt ;).

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats Ed, hopefully you'll raise them all well and there will be 4 females and one Kazanova :D
As for sexing Confusus, the moult looks then more like female. So we have one vote as a male (Mange tak Rigelus ;)) and of for female (thanks Ed). What a confusion... I should check my records for this one but I believe it might be not mature yet as well. What is the number of moult to adulthood for this specie?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Tadas, the molts for maturity are M6, F7. If you see females on pectines I'd stick with that, I've personally never heard of being able to sex vaejovis by chela. Keep checking the molts though, for some reason I have a feeling that the over lap may develop over time. But that is jusy a theory of mine. It seems like the gap grew smaller when I had some molt from I4 to I5.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just found the pectine count for V.confusus which is..
Male= 14 to 21
Female= 10 to 16

Put your scorp on a sheet of glass with a delicup over the it and take a picture of it's underside. You might get lucky, if the pectine count is less than 14 or more than 16 you'll have an ID..

(Mange tak Rigelus )
Jamen, det var så lidt..;)