Some out their questions.

Articratnula

Arachnopeon
Wats up everybody.I have been in the tarantulas hobby for as little as 3 months and with spring time comin I have a few questions.

1. Would it hurt my Ts if I put ant powder and ant gel in my room on my window seal? The Table I keep my Ts on is about 3 feet away from my window.

2. That truck that sprays poison in the air to kill all of those pest during the summer, could it seap through my open window and kill any of my Ts?

3.Would any flea spray sprayed around the house work its way in to my room and harm them.

4.If a fly ever got in to one of their cages and the T ate it could it kill my T.Again during the summer.

Iam very strict about keeping their cagess clean. I do matinice once in the morning and before I go to bed almost every day. I am a worrywart about everything so sorry if the questions seem a little annoying.:}

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wats up everybody.I have been in the tarantulas hobby for as little as 3 months and with spring time comin I have a few questions.

1. Would it hurt my Ts if I put ant powder and ant gel in my room on my window seal? The Table I keep my Ts on is about 3 feet away from my window.

2. That truck that sprays poison in the air to kill all of those pest during the summer, could it seap through my open window and kill any of my Ts?

3.Would any flea spray sprayed around the house work its way in to my room and harm them.

4.If a fly ever got in to one of their cages and the T ate it could it kill my T.Again during the summer.

Iam very strict about keeping their cagess clean. I do matinice once in the morning and before I go to bed almost every day. I am a worrywart about everything so sorry if the questions seem a little annoying.:}
1. it shouldnt be a problem. I would try and put the poison a little further away to be safe.

2. Not sure what you mean..as I dont have a truck to spray poison around my house. but yeah i guess it could be a possibility.

3. flea spray will kill your Ts. some believe that flea and tick meds(frontline, advantage..ect) cause DKS.

4. very unlikely.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
2. I think that the spray trucks basically spray some stuff to get rid of Mosquitos. As the particles are falling down, at a different rate based on the specific chemical, the mosquitos fly through it, and then die from contact. I don't know about it specifically hurting a tarantula, though.

Articratnula

Arachnopeon
One more question I have friends who visit every once in a while and they bring their dogs. The dogs have fleas during the warmer months and they use flea medication on them. If I where to play or pet the dogs could residue form the flea med get on me and harm my Ts when every I do maintenance on them? And can fleas kill a T?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yes. very likely. I wouldnt even let their dogs in my house.

I own a dog and will not use any form of flea or tick control. not even the shampoo's.

Again, many believe that is the primary cause of DKS(might run a search for it on here) which has wiped out whole collections.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A normal soapy bath with warm water kills fleas just as easily as those chemicals will.

And those chemicals used are being linked to certain cancers/diseases in dogs,cats and humans.

And for those who have the trucks that spray for mosquito's in your neighborhoods, arent you worried about what is being sprayed? That would make me paranoid, lol.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
And for those who have the trucks that spray for mosquito's in your neighborhoods, arent you worried about what is being sprayed? That would make me paranoid, lol.
I'll play devil's advocate on the last part of your post. I live in FL where they most certainly spray for mosquitoes regularly. While I don't like the poison and try to avoid going outside around the time they might spray . . . . I worry more about what the mosquitoes are carrying - - now that's some scary stuff.

Articratnula

Arachnopeon
True that. Iam sure my Ts will be alright. the dogs aren't even allowed in my room. And they only spray them right before they come over. They live all the way in California.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
True that. Iam sure my Ts will be alright. the dogs aren't even allowed in my room. And they only spray them right before they come over. They live all the way in California.
As for the dogs - - the problem is that the medication doesn't just wash off - - if you pet the dogs then you could transfer the poison to the Ts. Many believe that is how Ts are getting DKS. It's transfer of the waterproof tick medication from dog to people to Ts. Miniscule amounts seem to be enough to kill.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll play devil's advocate on the last part of your post. I live in FL where they most certainly spray for mosquitoes regularly. While I don't like the poison and try to avoid going outside around the time they might spray . . . . I worry more about what the mosquitoes are carrying - - now that's some scary stuff.
Yeah, true. I guess it's a common case of "Quid Pro Quo".

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Personally, I'm more worried about the threat provided by the mosquitos than I am the chemicals. They dissipate quickly and are pretty much Mosquito specific, as I've stated before. That being said, don't go "singing in the rain" whenever the mosquito truck goes by. Just to be safe.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm in Florida, too. The windows to the spider room (my converted 'Florida Room') are open during the summer. The mosquito spray hasn't killed them yet. ;)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I find it interesting they literally have trucks driving around spraying chemicals. this is new to me. But it makes sense given your locations. I have heard the mosquito's down there can fly away with small children;P

Articratnula

Arachnopeon
Let me change one of my questions. They actually use shampoo not spray. And I always wash my hands after petting them. And I use tongs only with my Ts, I don't even hold them minus from my rose hair. So would they be in less danger is what I am trying to say in a nutshell.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
basically. let me put it simple. Flea and tick meds on dogs..cat..ect are made to last for a while(even in shampoo).

I personally wouldnt chance it. either dont let the dogs in your house and be fine. or take your chance and loose your collection.

I have WAY to much time, money and love invested in my collection to chance it.

I love dogs. but I love MY collection to. and my collection would come before someone elses dogs.

like mentioned. a good alternative to flea and tick meds is regular dish soap. if my dog were to get fleas id use that over anything else.

just seems to risky to me. but then again, I wont even smoke in the same room as my Ts.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First off:

Welcome to the forum!

Listen to codykrr he knows his stuff.

On a side note, I don't mean to be a grammar nazi but please try to use proper spelling and punctuation when posting.

If you're going to use ant pesticide use a gel/enclosed ant trap. That way it doesn't get spread around so easily, and make sure to wash your hands before and after you do anything with your Ts.

That includes feeding, handling, and maintaining the tarantulas and the equipment you use.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Let me change one of my questions. They actually use shampoo not spray. And I always wash my hands after petting them. And I use tongs only with my Ts, I don't even hold them minus from my rose hair. So would they be in less danger is what I am trying to say in a nutshell.
I would say that all of those factors would help protect your Ts. However, there is always a chance. I'm a dog lover first and foremost, but I don't use flee/tick medication (haven't for about 5 years) - I've just been fortunate that they haven't gotten any, so I even use just an oatmeal shampoo to bathe my dogs. What would I do if my dogs got flees and ticks? Well, I would attempt to control them with regular bathing and medicated shampoo. I would then wear gloves for a long while to work with my Ts. Yeah, at that point - a little risk would be worth it for me.

As far as shampooed dogs coming over to your house - - just be careful. I certainly wouldn't turn family away - or tell them they can't bring their dogs over - because of the little risk involved. Now, I might say leave the dogs at home if they are regularly treated with Frontline - that's STRONG stuff.