some newbie Qs in search of As

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm looking into getting a H. troglodytes, and an H. arizonensis. I've done quite a bit of reading, and now I want to pick your brains (no, not literally).

1) When measuring a scorp, do you go by the length of the mesosoma alone, or the mesosoma plus the metasoma?

2) What is the general rule for sizes of prey items fed to scorps?

3) What sorts of substrates do you keep your H. troglodytes and H. arizonensis on? I like sand for H. arizonensis, but I'd like to know your opinions on what is best for them.

4) I've read that H. arizonensis don't do well in humid conditions. Living in the south, it gets quite humid around here. The majority of snakes in the snake room like it somewhat humid. Is this really a major issue for those of you keeping desert species in humid climates?

5) How do you differentiate the sexes between scorps?

Thanks in advance,
Bry

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Bry,

Welcome to the dark side, mate.

Measurements usualy include both the mesosoma and metasoma.

The general rules I've heard is half the mesosoma length or the length of the chela (pincers). Obviously, however, there will be substantial variation depending on the nature of the scorpion etc. My A.bicolor will take out prey items that a similarily sized H.spinifer would run away from. Thus, I tend to give them fewer but bigger items. My O.rugiceps are kings of scared and won't take any item larger than about 1/3 of their mesosoma. The best idea is to start modest and then work up or down depending on the reaction.

I generaly don't have humidity problems (high or low), so I am not the one to answer your humidity question.

As for sexing scorpions, you can find out more here.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I keep H. troglodytes on a combination, one side dried peat, one side dirty sand with a couple large stones in the enclosure with enough vertical room between them to allow the scorps to hide in between. Provide the usual water dish with fresh water at all times. This species has high fluid intakes, though they prefer a drier climate (65-75% is apparently prefered by them).

H. arizonensis, I keep on dirty sand (has some small scrub in it). They do not like high, damp humidity, but 50-60% dry is rather common for the deserts of AZ, so if the consistant humidity levels in your home are in that neighborhood or around it, you should be okay. Don't mist very often, but rather about once every 2-3 weeks and provide the usual water dish (I mist once every 2 wks, but I'm in North GA, almost to TN).

With humidity, I'll just recommend you to leave a humidity guage in the place of the room you are planning on keeping them in and monitor the %age so it's not overdone. Keep in mind, heat methods will disapate some of the humidity. If you plan to keep them and the humidity is too high, you may have to use light heating for the enclosure to disapate more moisture, rather than pads, which are good for taking 5-10% from the average ten gallon enclosure.

adios,
edw. =D

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are the water dish really useful for h. arizonensis? I've never give one to mine, and I have him since nearly a year. I occasionnely give him a water dish one night in a month, nothing more, as they take their water from their preys..

Frank