Some New pics and info...

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This behaviour has me a bit puzzled. This is Urodacus armatus, a common inland species of burrowing scorpion. I have this scorpion in a setup in my shed. It has constructed a burrow, but for some reason chooses to come and sit outside during the day and stilt, probably due to the higher temps inside the shed. The fluro lights dont bother them, although scorpions shun sunlight. Stilting is a thermoregulatory behaviour where the scorpion raises its body off the ground, supposedly to allow air circulation around the body to improve convective cooling. When they are really feeling heat/humidity they will raise the body until it points vertically. The odd thing is that water loss studies I have conducted indicate this scorpion loses water to the atmosphere to such an extent that if it were to remain exposed to this atmosphere continuously it would be dead in about 1 week (This is an open system - no lid) . Clearly it must be gaining enough water from prey items or taking water osmotically from the soil to make up for the losses. The scorpion looks and behaves in a healthy fashion.

Nikon D50, Kiron 105mm f2.8, Metz 45CT4 1/250th at about f16

Cercophonius squama from the Snowy Mountains near Cooma, quite an attractive scorpion.

Eat and run.....

Captive born U elongatus going for a stroll....now 5 years old and has mated...ungues crossed...

closeup from inside its favourite hollow log.

Lychas marmoreus from the Adelaide Hills, still coming out at night, especially with a little rain about, they love deep leaf litter around the base of gum trees.

Urodacus manicatus from the Adelaide Hills. Note the dull looking posterior prosoma and mesosoma. Looking closely under the scope it looks like the surface is densely granulate with small granules, similar to sand paper. This traps a lot of dust etc and also due to being rough cuts down the light reflectance making it look dull. Shiny areas are smooth and without granules. Note the very short fingers similar to U armatus.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
amazing pics....i really wish there comes a day when we get some of those species..

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hehehe, eat and run, I love when they do that, reminds me of a dog with a chew toy.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i really wish there comes a day when we get some of those species
Yeah, me too.......!, Just what is the problem with exporting scorpions from Australia Mark.
I've tried googling it but to be honest can't really make no sense of it.."Australians animal export laws" + variations just gave me pages of what seemed contradictory information..:?

Andre2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mark, that Cercophonius squama is beautiful!:clap:
For a split second I thought you had a Uroplectes insignis or U. lineatus..

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whats up Mark...is the question a boner!!....;)
I dont know exactly, other than it's illegal to export native wildlife and the same with it coming in, thats an even bigger NO NO. Possibly if second generation breeding can be proven in captivity and the right channels are gone through there might be a way of exporting captive bred animals with a license. Given that Urodacus have a generation time of 6 years assuming everything goes as it should, thats 12 years of keeping before export of that genera. Lychas would be a quicker possibility.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
mark, how old do manicatus need to be before sexually mature? what bout yaschenkoi? How old did you breed elongatus at?

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yipes!...that sounds well stiff.

However with your countrys' enviromental issue's i guess drastic measures are in order......even if it is akin to closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

I've been looking through a few sites..

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=3448

and was astounded by the size of fines and severity of punishment compared to so many other countrys....
Easy to understand why no Australian would take the risk of stiff fingering the system with regards to shipping off a few inverts..

12 years you say....Crikey, it'd be quicker selling up and moving over to ossie....which is not as easy as it was anymore!!...but then the problem would be getting stuff INTO the country....;)

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mark, how old do manicatus need to be before sexually mature? what bout yaschenkoi? How old did you breed elongatus at?
As far as I know all the Urodacus take 4.5 yrs to reach 6th instar (adult) and then 1.5 yrs gestation. My elongatus was born in 2002 and only turned into an adult this year and just mated it. I only had one make it through all the ecdysial phases, but at least now I have a much better idea of how to get them through.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
1.5yr gestation, damn, thats slow and painful, but worth it if you manage to rear them sucessfully

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
what about liocheles any idea on how long till adult and their gestation period?

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what about liocheles any idea on how long till adult and their gestation period?
Liocheles...about 12 months gestation, but I dont know how long to maturity. I cant imagine as long as Urodacus as they are tropical forest species, they normally develop quicker than temperate animals.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey

i had a contact in the UK who could import L.waigiensis in vast numbers from somewhere in AU, not sure if it was legal or not!!! :)

very nice species though

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey

i had a contact in the UK who could import L.waigiensis in vast numbers from somewhere in AU, not sure if it was legal or not!!! :)

very nice species though
They wouldnt be coming from Australia, possibly Indonesia.

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lychas marmoreus from the Adelaide Hills, still coming out at night, especially with a little rain about, they love deep leaf litter around the base of gum trees.
Abosultely beautiful markings! Stunning!