Please excuse the poor pictures.

A few adult Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani "China Giant":

A few Scolopendra multidens pedelings:

The swelling from a bite from one of these:

A couple of Scolopendra subspinipes cingulatoides pedelings:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Coolness. Those Chinese giants are teddy bears & kinda lazy, yet very visible. Curious to see how the cingulatoides turn out as they age.

EMWhite

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Coolness. Those Chinese giants are teddy bears & kinda lazy, yet very visible. Curious to see how the cingulatoides turn out as they age.
Hi!
I have to say, I've got three Chinese/Hong Kong dehaani reds and they are BY FAR one of the most aggressive and high-strung pedes I have. Even over something like multidens, the reds are just crazy... I fully admit that mine might just be indwelt by the devil, and that not all of them are like this. Which could explain why some are calmer... :) :) :) Gorgeous pedes, enjoy them!!!

Evan

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i would wait at least, bare minimum, two weeks between bite inductions or you stand a good chance of mixing venom effects. a month would be better.

the reason i say this is that i can typically reinduce simple local bite symptoms 5-14 days after a bite simply by vigorously rubbing the bite site. i *think* venom might be getting stored interstitially or in fat cells or some kinda cell vacuoles or something like that.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those Chinese giants are teddy bears & kinda lazy, yet very visible.
Mine are insane! They thrash around and strike and bite at everything! I do have to agree that they are very visible though. I have 3 and none has tried to burrow yet, despite having lots of substrate.

i would wait at least, bare minimum, two weeks between bite inductions or you stand a good chance of mixing venom effects. a month would be better.

the reason i say this is that i can typically reinduce simple local bite symptoms 5-14 days after a bite simply by vigorously rubbing the bite site. i *think* venom might be getting stored interstitially or in fat cells or some kinda cell vacuoles or something like that.
Well, I just tried the rubbing thing you mentioned on both the S. alternans and S. multidens bite sites (on my right and left index fingers respectively) and got nothing. I suppose it could just be an individual thing. I'll be more careful anyway, never good being too comfortable around these guys. Thanks.

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another WC fertilized female? :p
At least we are sure that plings won't laid eggs :p

Nice ones! Good lock with them! ;)

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Your new kids look very sassy, I love them all. More pedelings
may be on the way soon? Asians?{D

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer

This is an adult one & I think there is something wrong with "S.s.cingulatoides".
I am quite sure they are not even S.subspinipes - or at least can't be, considering recent taxonomy.

Cheers
Turgut

Xenomorph

Arachnosquire
Hi @ all

My Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani "Chinese Giant" almost all of you as have been described Draiman. Besides the one he shows almost no digging defensive behavior and does none of my four, all located around just under pieces of bark.

sorry for the bad pictures

cheers Sandro

Attachments

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Thanks, Turgut...yes, one of the "absogonopoda" group referred to as sp. "Vietnam I"(your columns are being read, if not digested completely). Interesting...I haven't read the article in its entirety and I'm rather curious as to how mating is conducted sans spinning organ...will have to finish the article.