Some more pics of my carnivorous plants

Cuddly Cobalt

Arachnosquire
Only isf you use one that is too large for the trap.....as a general rule, you should feed nothing larger than 1/2 the size of the trap. Also, each trap can only digest a few bugs in it's lifetime before it turns black anyway....the traps "wear out" with use.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Very Nice sarracienias and flytrap! :clap:

lol thanks, I was wondering if I could keep a N. rajah and N. ampullaria on a windowsill with a lot of light. I also have a humidifier that i could use next them, would that work? I really dont feel like setting up a terrarium.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very beautiful, Exo. Although, your lack of drosera upsets me.
Oh really?.....lemme fix that for ya......

D.venusta

D.paleacea

D.multifida

D.alantostigma

D.capensis "broadleaf

D,rotundifolia

D.prolifera

D.adelae

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

lol thanks, I was wondering if I could keep a N. rajah and N. ampullaria on a windowsill with a lot of light. I also have a humidifier that i could use next them, would that work? I really dont feel like setting up a terrarium.
Prolly not.....Rajah needs a night time temp of areond 55F to do well, and N.ampullaria needs hot temps with humidity over 70%.....both species do not make good houseplants.

Cuddly Cobalt

Arachnosquire
Oh really?.....lemme fix that for ya......

D.venusta

D.paleacea

D.multifida

D.alantostigma

D.capensis "broadleaf

D,rotundifolia

D.prolifera

D.adelae

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Prolly not.....Rajah needs a night time temp of areond 55F to do well, and N.ampullaria needs hot temps with humidity over 70%.....both species do not make good houseplants.

really? there is an important carnivorous plant collector that was able to grow them as well as a hamata on a window sill. Wouldnt the humidifier keep the temps cooler for the rajah and humidity for the ampullaria?

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Exo, what's your opinion on keeping N. rafflesiana as a houseplant? I picked up one last Thursday that was already too big to put in my overgrown lowland terrarium. I've been keeping it under two T5 fluorescent bulbs, and it appears to be doing okay so far. Also, it appears to be "fuzzier" than many other lowlanders, so I'm wondering if it's a better candidate for a houseplant. And BTW, awesome collection! :clap:

Cuddly Cobalt

Arachnosquire
Hey Exo, what's your opinion on keeping N. rafflesiana as a houseplant? I picked up one last Thursday that was already too big to put in my overgrown lowland terrarium. I've been keeping it under two T5 fluorescent bulbs, and it appears to be doing okay so far. Also, it appears to be "fuzzier" than many other lowlanders, so I'm wondering if it's a better candidate for a houseplant. And BTW, awesome collection! :clap:
rafflesiana make pretty good houseplants

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Where do you get these? Do you have a specific supplier you buy from? Do you buy them locally, or order online?

One of these days, I'll get into them...

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Where do you get these? Do you have a specific supplier you buy from? Do you buy them locally, or order online?

One of these days, I'll get into them...
I've gotten many of mine from Sarracenia Northwest, Cook's Carnivorous Plants, or ebay. More recently, I've found some local nurseries to buy from. It's really cool to be able to pick the plants you want from a group. Hawaii has many Nepenthes nurseries. You should have no problems finding plants if/when you move back. :)

I believe Exo said he gets many of his from CP Jungle?

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It can work.....just try to keep the temps up in the winter...while it's tougher than most other LL neps, it still likes it fairly warm. Also, it will need to be in a pretty sunny window, low light results in no pitchers.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

My favorite vendors......

http://www.exoticplantsplus.com/

http://cobraplant.com/index.php

http://www.cpjungle.com/

And I've gotten many in trades and from friends on this forum....

http://terraforums.com/forums/index.php

imatroll

Arachnopeon
There's also usually stores on forums. Flytrapcare.com has a store, and so does terraforums.com

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
you can also try growing native carnivorous plants....Up here in Michigan I have 2 varieties of S purpurea....including the green or alba form....Flava and many many self seeding and perrenial drosera....all in a 5x3 foot tub in my backyard....they all overwinter very well

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If you want a good low maintenance hardy Nepenthes, the absolute best one you can try is n. khasiana. I grew this one from seed very easily and grew it out doors on my patio in inland southern California.