Some Mantid questions

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering if anyone can recomend a mantid species for a beginner. I've never kept mantids before and I've always wanted to. Before I invest in some of the more pricey inverts, I like to make sure that I can breed similar cheeper ones. If anyone can steer me in the right direction and give me some mantid tips that would be awsome.
Marcus-Sparkus

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Of the ones available in the trade, I'd say the African Sphodromantis sp. are among the hardiest. They're often sold under the common name "neon green".

You might want to start with some of the very hardy NA species like Stagmomantis carolina, or the introduced Chinese mantid, Tenodera aridifolia. The Chinese is somewhat less hardy in captivity, but readily available as egg cases (ootheca) since they're sometimes sold as pest control by garden supply places. If you choose to hatch an ootheca, then be sure to have a fruitfly culture going ahead of time!

I've found mantids to be very sensitive to bad air quality. I always make sure at least one side of the container is screened. Most of the time, I keep them in containers without substrate (not needed, the mantids rarely touch the bottom). I provide lots of branches or fake plants for climbing, but most of the time they end up hanging upside down from the top (upside down is the normal position for most). The branches are still important, as they allow non-flying insects a way to get near the top where they can be eaten. I give them water by misting (not so much for humidity, but to let them drink). Some species may drink from a bowl.

Most of the species I've kept haven't had major humidity requirements, so I keep the containers dry most of the time, but mist once or twice a day. Some of the more tropical types may need more moisture, however.

Mantids eat more than tarantulas or scorpions, plus they also molt frequently (until adulthood). I've heard that overfed nymphs may have a difficult time molting...seems plausible. Also, be sure not to leave live feeder insects in there for more than a day, as the mantids are very vunerable while molting. The container should be at least twice as tall as the mantid is long, to allow room when it molts, as it does so hanging upside down.

Good luck!

Wade

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks alot Wade. When spring rolls around, I'm off to a garening store to grab some!

Marcus-Sparkus

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know that when I've seen mantid ootheca at gardening stores, they are in refridorators. Do the ootheca need a cooling period for them to hatch or is this just to stop them from hatching?

Marcus-Sparkus

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Assuming that they're the Chinese mantid, it's just to stop them from hatching. They do not need the cooling period and will hatch approx. 30 days after being laid if kept warm.

Wade

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Praying Mantis

I have a few praying mantis (mantis religiosa) ootheca I'd be willing to sell to you now, I've kept them before, they get pretty big, are easy to keep and make great pets. I live in Central Ontario, if you're interested, e-mail me at katy_the_cat@hotmail.com

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Marcus

You have to either e-mail me, or use the regular discussion forum, the Private Message thing won't work for me, I don't know why.

T

Tarantula

I would agree that African Sphodromantis sp is a great starter species. They get very big, are hardy, easy to breed, big eaters (mine at a pinkie mouse) and are nice to look at.

The thing I dont like about mantids is taht they have such short life spans.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
From my experience, sphodromantis sp. are the easiest to take care of, but I only have experience with Stagmomantis carolina, T. aridofolia sinensis(spelling?), and Sphodromantis lineola. It also seems impossible to get Sphodromantis here in the states, I have three adult females, but can not find a male anywhere! I have also heard that adult female Sphodromantis sp. can live for six months, so far mine have survived three.

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so lonely....

Does no one else have praying mantids? I feel so alone!

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have 4 or 5 stagmomantis carolina(Carolina mantid) oothecae and three adult female Sphodromantis lineola, so do not feel too alone :)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Hello Markus-Sparkus
Sphodromantis are among the easiest but Miomantis are definitely ten times easier than Sphodromantis.

I'm presently breeding Miomantis paykullii, Acanthops falcata, Parasphendale agrionina, Deroplatys dessicata and Phyllocrania paradoxa. I've bred many others but for me I can only keep so many in culture at one time without losing my mind. (I keep the Miomantis because they won't go away, the rest because they're bizarre)

Attachments

Mad Scientist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Marcus

Originally posted by Katy
You have to either e-mail me, or use the regular discussion forum, the Private Message thing won't work for me, I don't know why.
You might have the PM turned off. Try going in this order: user CP/edit options/ and then click the enable private messages button from no to yes.

hope this helps

Last edited: