some info on the citharischius crawshayi

rooster

Arachnopeon
Well Im kinda new to T's but I have my heart set on a C crawshayi. They just look so awesome!!! I have a H lividum and we get along great LOL!! But I guess the aggressiveness doesnt concern me. What I was wondering is, well when you disturb the H lividum she runs all around like a nut job and runs up the aquarium glass kinda in a blind panic, its kinda freaky cuz you never know where shes gonna fly to, (and dont ask me why but she hasn't dug a burrow). Does the C Crawshayi run around like a nut like that, or does it pretty much stand its ground?

Also, my G rosea doesnt climb the aquarium glass, I dont know if she can or if shes just too lazy to do it. My A versicolor does, as I would suspect because its arboreal. And I found out, kinda unexpectedly, that the H lividum climbs glass, I thought because its a burrowing spider for some reason I thought it wouldn't...So can you tell me do most T's climb glass or are there some that can't?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well Im kinda new to T's but I have my heart set on a C crawshayi. They just look so awesome!!! I have a H lividum and we get along great LOL!! But I guess the aggressiveness doesnt concern me. What I was wondering is, well when you disturb the H lividum she runs all around like a nut job and runs up the aquarium glass kinda in a blind panic, its kinda freaky cuz you never know where shes gonna fly to, (and dont ask me why but she hasn't dug a burrow). Does the C Crawshayi run around like a nut like that, or does it pretty much stand its ground?

Also, my G rosea doesnt climb the aquarium glass, I dont know if she can or if shes just too lazy to do it. My A versicolor does, as I would suspect because its arboreal. And I found out, kinda unexpectedly, that the H lividum climbs glass, I thought because its a burrowing spider for some reason I thought it wouldn't...So can you tell me do most T's climb glass or are there some that can't?
Truthfully, once a C crayshawi or H. lividum settle in, providing you have given enough substrate to burrow, they won't be doing any running around because they'll be buried almost all of the time. Both prefer to be in the burrows and will retreat into the hole at the slightest disturbance. For example, I haven't seen my lividum in over 6 months. I know its alive because it keeps filling in its water dish.

As far as I know, all T's can climb glass, but terrestrial ones like your rosea and lividum really shouldn't, the fall could be fatal.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Truthfully, once a C crayshawi or H. lividum settle in, providing you have given enough substrate to burrow, they won't be doing any running around because they'll be buried almost all of the time. Both prefer to be in the burrows and will retreat into the hole at the slightest disturbance. For example, I haven't seen my lividum in over 6 months. I know its alive because it keeps filling in its water dish.

As far as I know, all T's can climb glass, but terrestrial ones like your rosea and lividum really shouldn't, the fall could be fatal.
hi got to agree with all that so do you want a pet hole lol +++ phil

rooster

Arachnopeon

hi got to agree with all that so do you want a pet hole lol +++ phil

I want a pet hole that rears up and hisses, LOL !!

I kinda think I may be the reason my lividum hasnt burrowed yet I keep moving stuff around.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think when you stop moving things around you still have a pet hole lol ;) :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: === phil

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
C. crawshayi are supposed to be very slow growing, too. They are on my list for the future, but I think I may get a couple of other Africans first.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I want a pet hole that rears up and hisses, LOL !!

I kinda think I may be the reason my lividum hasnt burrowed yet I keep moving stuff around.
then a king baboon is what you want my friend:clap: ive got 4 of these awesome monsters(adults) and they are just plain great spiders,1 of mine was raised from a spiderling,they do grow very slow...............it took about 4 years to get pretty good sized:eek: the other 3 were adults already,so you should take the plunge......you'll be glad you did!{D

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think all spiders can climb glass. :D the king baboon is a great selection though.. with those hissing thingies :cool:

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
KIng baboons are reasonably easy to manage as their bahaviour is rather predictable. true they are usually hidden away (and you'll often be unaware the spider has even moulted as they crunch the skin up into tiny fragments at some point after the moult) if exposed they will rear up and hiss but they tend not to run around and up the tank, i know haplopelma will do this and once out they RUN! KIngs are very slow growing as said, two years old and you still have a small spider 2 inches across, after the 5 year mark they are a more respectable 5 inches or so and continue get bigger with each moult (dont quote my values, it just gives an idea). I have seen wild caught females that are colossal, an 8 inch king is a much more massive beast than a 6 inch 7 year old, i wonder if this is mainly a genetic difference or do they live for a long time and just keep getting bigger?

treeweta.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hum, h. lividum are often confused and crazed out in new sorroundings. moving stuff around is not exactly the best method to help her settle in. so how about you give her nice deep substrate, a hide with a prestarted burrow and a waterdish and just wait for her to settle down? a lividum not burrowing is definitely no good sign. either she is really stressed out or something else is wrong with her.

once she has burrowed, you will most likely never see more of her than her toes (if that). it's the same with the crawshayi. it may be more 'agressive' than the lividum you've got, but that depends on the individual. once settled in, both species are most likely to run as soon as they sense movement near the tank and hide deep in their burrows. so no, you will probably not have a hissing and rearing t when you get a crawshayi, but a real pethole.