some info on Iridopelma hirusutum?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just saw a picture of one,and i want to know more about them.they are gorgeous!how much do they cost?how hard are they to care for?how available are they in the US hobby?how big do they get?and where do they come from(old world or new world?thanks!

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I believe they're from Brazil, they don't get terribly large, and you pretty much care for them like Avics. I got my sling from Swifts, at last check he still had some.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldnt say they are easy to come by here in the states but there are a few dealers that still have them. They are like angry little avics I house and care for mine the same way but I dont handle these. They do a little color changing as they grow which is fun to watch. Also they come from Brazil and there are two different locations they are collected from. One is listed as I. (sp) receifie or some spelling like that Im fairly sure I just butchered it. I think they are the same spider after doing some in depth searching. Id say depending on size that soething around 1" should be around $40

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very cute but defensive tarantulas. Kind of the Pterinochilus murinus of small, arboreal spiders. :razz: Once they reach juvenile size they will be on their backs with fangs bared almost everytime you feed them. Hilarious!
Iridopelma hirsutum and Iridoplema sp. "Recife" appear to be identical, but I'm still keeping their ID's separate and not inter-breeding my stock. Very fun to own. You should most certainly try to pick up one or two of them for laughs. Di

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so their venom isn't like a pokie or an OBT since it's from Brazil,right?i really want one,and i think i might pick on up.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so their venom isn't like a pokie or an OBT since it's from Brazil,right?i really want one,and i think i might pick on up.
No, their venom shouldn't be anything like a Pokie or an OBT.

They are great to have. Like was said before, they are pretty defensive little buggers, but they love to stay out in the open (at least from my experience).

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wasn't an Avic sp. recently renamed to Iridopelma?

EDIT: Searched it and it was A. diversipes that I read was getting moved to there.

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
No movement as of yet...it is still A. diversipes for the time being.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

EDIT: Searched it and it was A. diversipes that I read was getting moved to there.
That's what I thought also, but someone, I think Falk, said something in a thread about how they won't be because of some difference. Think it remember it being something about tibal hooks?

I'm on my phone or i'd look up the thread.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am sorry, but what does Brazil have to do with Poecilotheria and OBT's? hehe

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brazil houses new world species. Pokies & OBTs are old world, more potent venom.
Ohh I read her question wrong, I thought she said since its from brazil, it's venom is like obt and pokies... hmm i need more sleep i think. lol!

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Because of some of the colors and paterns they have I feel they would fit into Iridopelma very well also because of temperment but most of these have nothing to do with the actual classification when it is done right. I think we also have to remember that Avic is a melting pot Genus at this time tell it becomes better defined there may be other genus that split from it in the future. keep in mind Im not saying any species will be split im just saying it would not surprise me if it happened in the future. I beleive it has all ready happened in the past.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very cute but defensive tarantulas. Kind of the Pterinochilus murinus of small, arboreal spiders. :razz: Once they reach juvenile size they will be on their backs with fangs bared almost everytime you feed them. Hilarious!
Iridopelma hirsutum and Iridoplema sp. "Recife" appear to be identical, but I'm still keeping their ID's separate and not inter-breeding my stock. Very fun to own. You should most certainly try to pick up one or two of them for laughs. Di
Seems like a T for me;)

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I received a I.hirsutum sling from a very special friend. I keep them just like my avics, but I notice a couple of things with these guys...

They seem to sit in premolt FOREVER! When in premolt, they never seem to have any traction in the vial to climb the walls, super shiny legs and abdomen and no appetite.

But woah baby.. once they molt and harden... As Diane once told me... Get your Elephant Gun out!

I'm super anxious to start seeing some coloring on these little guys!

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I received a I.hirsutum sling from a very special friend. I keep them just like my avics, but I notice a couple of things with these guys...

They seem to sit in premolt FOREVER! When in premolt, they never seem to have any traction in the vial to climb the walls, super shiny legs and abdomen and no appetite.

But woah baby.. once they molt and harden... As Diane once told me... Get your Elephant Gun out!

I'm super anxious to start seeing some coloring on these little guys!
Excellent observation. When they are eating, they accept food with a vengeance. When they are pre-molt it seems like it lasts longer than other species and they sit like a lump in one spot and refuse to eat.
Thomas: You would love these. Any Pokieholic would. {D
Di