Some Help for a Sick False Widow?

Smiling Scribe

Arachnopeon
Cordelia was a fat, contented, two-year-old False Widow spider. Then she lost interest in her regular food, and rapidly dropped weight.

I started feeding her pill bugs and worms from the garden, and she loved them! She ate a huge pill bug and a small worm daily. But no matter how much she ate, she regained none of her old weight. Her big meals did nothing more than keep her alive.

Unfortunately, the day came when a pill bug decided to put-up a real fight--doing damage to Cordelia's web and frightening her so badly that she wouldn't eat--and she was dead within twenty-four hours.

Could someone please tell me what was wrong with her, and if anything could have been done to save her? (I'm getting concerned about my new False Widow, Storm, who may be going the same way.)

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Ive never kept steoda sp. But I have kept a few latrodectus sp. They live about 2-3 years IME and at the end of there life cycle pass similarly to yours..

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I've heard certain Steatoda sp. can live up to 6 years... But I'm sure others live far shorter lifespans than that.

Water intake?

Smiling Scribe

Arachnopeon
I've heard six years as well, but I've never seen it, either with Cordelia or the generations of "wild" False Widows that have grown up in my kitchen's nooks and crannies. It's always been 2-3 years, tops.

As for water intake?

None, I'm afraid. When she started getting sick, I gave her a wet cotton ball then added some water drops to her web with an eyedropper, but she ignored it all.

Could you please tell me, what is the best way to provide water to False Widows, both captive and wild?

And any idea why they would suddenly die from dehydration after going without water for two+ years? Some biological change, maybe?

Also, can you think of any other reason for such sudden weight loss and death, besides dehydration?

Thanks so much. Your replies were appreciated!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Best way I've found to get water to cobweb spiders is by misting with a spray bottle. Several small drops of water all over the web allows them to drink easily.

Stress or incorrect habitat/housing can cause spiders to 'fail to thrive,' but that's not what happened in your case.

Could just be the end of the life for the spider...