Some early coloration?

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
My pulchra sling just reached the 1 inch mark! And the molt got all torn up so I cant sex it...( I tried ventral sexing while it was on the walls of the enclosure and I saw a slit right in between the upper book lungs. It also is very dark at the moment. Does this mean anything?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What do you mean "does it mean anything"? For one thing it means its molted and its color has darkened a bit

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
What do you mean "does it mean anything"? For one thing it means its molted and its color has darkened a bit
Through research I have heard that pulchras get there adult colors a lot later...maybe a coincidence.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
They start tan/brown, then turn black for a little bit when they are around 1.5", then turn brown again when they are 2-2.5", then go back to black when they hit 3.5-4". Who knows why, but it makes it fun to see what they'll look like after each molt!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My pulchra sling just reached the 1 inch mark! And the molt got all torn up so I cant sex it...( I tried ventral sexing while it was on the walls of the enclosure and I saw a slit right in between the upper book lungs. It also is very dark at the moment. Does this mean anything?
1" wow, you are only a century away from seeing it as an adult!! Put it in your will.

1. No

Dielc4

Arachnopeon
Congrats on the milestone! It's fun to watch the slings as they molt and progress, especially if it's your first T. They can't be accurately sexed at that age, so be patient. At that size, it's got a lot of growing to do before it reaches it's adult morph. Coloration will change as it molts, so as long as it doesn't seem to be flicking hairs that's probably not too much to worry about. I'm very excited for you, and I know everyone else is too. Thanks for sharing :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Through research I have heard that pulchras get there adult colors a lot later...maybe a coincidence.
Well they begin darkening well before they have their full adult color and can vary depending on individuals and genetics its seems, like most tarantulas ive worked with. One of mine is about 1-1.5in and is like a dark grayish color. Normal.

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
How big is lava right now?
I suspect right around 2", possibly a hair over. She's due for a molt in the next month or two I think... We'll see 😬. Her last molt was March 3 and that cycle was 79 days.

She has molted twice with me and gained a half inch with each. Growing like a weed, especially for a Grammostola. See:

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
I suspect right around 2", possibly a hair over. She's due for a molt in the next month or two I think... We'll see 😬. Her last molt was March 3 and that cycle was 79 days.

She has molted twice with me and gained a half inch with each. Growing like a weed, especially for a Grammostola. See:
Ironic, you're T molted on my birthday...( just turned 14...)

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Ironic, you're T molted on my birthday...( just turned 14...)
Week early for my kids, theirs are the 10th and 11th lol.

At Lava's current diminutive size, I feel confident she'll molt again before your next birthday though. 😆

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

What are me you feeding it? That’s really fast growing for this genus . I gotta wishlist this one I’ve still not had one.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
What are me you feeding it? That’s really fast growing for this genus . I gotta wishlist this one I’ve still not had one.
Crickets from a standard chain pet store -- the 1" pic above is pretty much representative of her diet overall. Also got some lesser mealworm beetles that hitchhiked in with them at one point and have colonized my feeder bin, and the lesser mealworms are a nice little snack for her.

I don't even keep the room particularly warm or anything, I think I just...picked out a freak fast growing individual? 🤷 Honestly I was floored when I saw how much size she gained in one molt given all the talk of their glacial growth.

To be fair, I did let her get fat enough to be seen from orbit. Before her first molt with me she actually refused food once. Given what a trash compactor she is, I was pretty shocked she skipped a meal.