Some closeups

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Those are excellent pics, tito.. what are you using?

Bill

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Bill,
I'm using the Canon PowerShot S40. Not sure if it's called the same in the U.S, probably Digital Elph something something. Not the best macro, but with 4 megapixel res it makes up for most of it, although the pic of the Formosa isn't as good as I had hoped.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Unless you've got some 18 inch spiders there, I'd say that's a damn good macro.

Bill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
WOW!

VERY nice pics, Tito! Is that last one a Green Bottle Blue?

Peace,
Gillian

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's OK, the closest you get is about 4", but if you go with a Nikon you'll get as close as 1". Although I don't really want to be only ONE inch away from my blondi while I'm fiddeling with the camera...;)

Hey Gillian,

yup it's from the top:

Formosa
Blondi
Geniculata
Green Bottle Blue

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Tito,
Allright. That's it. Now I MUST have a green bottle blue. See what you did?! *joking* I can agree with you about not wanting to be near a blondi whilst fiddling with the settings. Really nice pics..

Peace,
Gillian

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just curious how you got so close with the spider's cooperation? or do you have a kick ass zoom?

Mark

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Those are pretty nice. "Sad" part is that I can identify all four of those on sight just from the carapace, I have become a spider geek and then some :)

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know what you mean, CM, I got three out of four!

Great photos, Tito.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
awesome pics Tito! but let me tell you...I have the Canon Digital Elph, and it doesn't do anything NEAR that ....the macro on that camera ...isn't there!

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK, got a new camera that needed testing so I took some more pics of the same T's. This camera is the Canon G3, same res as the PowerShot S40, but the macro range is better - 2"/5cm. As you can see the "closeups" are actually crops of the other pics.

I'll stop posting pics for a while now, don't wanna overstay my welcome ;)

Big Mike

Arachnopeon
I have the Sony Mavica( bought it for $75 on ebay) , and have a little trick for those who want to take macro shots without spending hundreds of dollars on new equipment. I was looking for a macro lens to photograph coins for a website I was building, when a friend of mine suggested the following.

If you turn on the auto focus and zoom all the way out, position the camera as close as you desire,(up to 1" from the subject!!!!!!) and then slowly zoom in until the image comes into focus, you will be amazed at the quality of the picture. I have also tried the same trick with several other digital cameras and have had similar outstanding results.

Imagine pictures of coins that fill an entire screen with clarity!!! The key is lighting. This will never work with flash, so dont even wast your time. Offset 2 lights, one on each side of the camera and just tweak them till you get the lighting you desire.

Remember to zoom all the way out first, and then zoom in slightly, just to bring the picture into focus. It only takes just a small adjustment to achieve this. You may have to just touch the "zoom in" button and let go of it. When you let go, the image will focus more clearly. All cameras are different, so you need to practice a bit and find the best range for your focus.

Most of us have tried to do closeups, but we zoom in first and then position the camera. This does not work because there is no way to bring the picture into focus when the lens is fully extended.

Try this out and then post here with your comments!!!

Mike

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Big Mike

If you turn on the auto focus and zoom all the way out, position the camera as close as you desire,(up to 1" from the subject!!!!!!) and then slowly zoom in until the image comes into focus, you will be amazed at the quality of the picture. I have also tried the same trick with several other digital cameras and have had similar outstanding results.
The only problem is there is a grand total of about 4 inverts that would EVER stand for that...

Big Mike

Arachnopeon
Patience is very important when photographing invertabrates. If you are trying to pose your cobalt blue for a photo, Id say that you are setting yourself up for disaster. I have photographed inverts hundreds of times using the method I described. I will say that not every subject will tolerate being within 1" of the lens, but that is where common sense should be applied. No one said put your camera right on them. The 1" method has worked marvelous for the coins, but I wouldnt recomend it for an Usambara. I have found that it is possible to take photos like the ones in this thread 8 inches or more from the subject. Just make sure your quality is set on a higher setting and that your lighting is perfect. Bottom line is, if you dont feel comfortable getting too close, then dont do it.

Mike

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good points made Big Mike! The real fun starts trying to get a good pic of one of the Centipedes! LOL!

Atrax