Some checks off the list

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I recently bought from @Blue Jaye. This isn't a review, but rather of a "Look what I got" :D

B. smithi, ~2" dls
IMG_1565.JPG

Subadult female P. murinus, ~3-3.5" (hard to tell with the molt)
IMG_1568.JPG

N. chromatus, 2.5"
IMG_1574.JPG

A. geniculata, 2.5"
IMG_1575.JPG

Quite a brave P. murinus, she began molting on the car ride home. Confirmed female at this point. The B. smithi is suspected male, but I need another molt to tell. This was one Brachy that I've been missing, and I'm looking forward to raising it. The N. chromatus matches my N. coloratovillosus, and I just had an A. geniculata mature into a male. This is possibly the best single purchase I've made, value and in cost.

Basically, I got a bunch of young juvies that show adult coloration at a young age :D Score

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Wow, OBTs really are hardy aren't they? I got one last week but it's only 3/4" can't wait for it to get that big!
Out of curiosity do you happen to know what locality it's from?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Aww man. I've been looking for a female juvie/subadult OBT!
I've raised three from slings, and all three have turned out to be male. It's about time I got a female! She has another one that I'm pretty darn sure is female, you may want to reach out. No exuvia to check, but it's already quite a bit larger than a mature male.

Wow, OBTs really are hardy aren't they? I got one last week but it's only 3/4" can't wait for it to get that big!
Out of curiosity do you happen to know what locality it's from?
They are the definition of hardy. I just wish they were better for beginners - grows like a weed, hardy, gorgeous colors. But their venom, speed, and defensiveness knock them out for beginners. It's one of the fastest growing species out there, so you won't wait long for an adult. Just feed it like mad. They're from Africa, but I don't know the specific country. Take it with a grain of salt, but Wikipedia says they're from "Angola, as well as Central, Southern, and Eastern Africa. The species has also been recorded on the island of Zanzibar."

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Take it with a grain of salt, but Wikipedia says they're from "Angola, as well as Central, Southern, and Eastern Africa. The species has also been recorded on the island of Zanzibar."
I checked the World Spider Catalog, and it says: Angola, Central, East, Southern Africa.