some arachnids from Eastern Madagascar (2016)

Ambly

Arachnobaron
I returned to Madagascar this year to do some frog conservation work. I will post more, but here are some of the arachnids I saw. Any and all IDs welcome! There was a burrowing wolf spider species that was absolutely incredible - many pics and videos to come.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
very interested in an ID on the first. I saw several of these in both 2011 and 2016, only mature males. I suspect the females and immature do not have this coloration. I never saw any spiders resembling this one. I did see some mygalomorphs that resembled Ummidia trapdoor spiders from the US, found under leaves, that I expected to be burrowers that abandoned their home. The only other abundant mygalomorph I regularly saw were a burrowing wolf spider species that made impressive turrets. They were far more colorful.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I suppose the second from the bottom is Deinopis madagascarensis, just because I think there are only two deinopidae in Madagascar and Menneus doesn't really look like that.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
I believe you are correct on the ID on that one. I am not sure whether D. menneus overlaps in range or not. I honestly did a terrible job photographing invertebrates... probably because if I started, I'd have lived behind the camera. There is too much to photograph. Fungus too. The huntsman in the spiked palm (Pandanus sp.) was incredible... I wish I had photographed more. They were found exclusively in those plants.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I don't think there is a D. menneus, I was referring to the genus, which has one representative in Madagascar, I think.
Please take some pictures of fungi sometime!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1. That's beautiful! All I can guess is mature male mygalomorph.
2. Sparassid of some sort. If you were only finding it in the palms you may be able to track down an ID that way.
3. Sparassidae
4. Looks like Heteropoda sp.
5. Agreed with schmiggle.
6. Sparassidae

Sorry I couldn't help more :( I'll try to poke around more later and maybe track down a couple better IDs.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
Misaotra betsaka, thank you very much!!! #6 was in my jacket sleeve - so that was a pleasant discovery. If only I had a photograph of the incredibly frightening and massive Scolopendra centipede on my ceiling... but I still have the nightmares!

I have not sought IDs myself so I will be doing so and share with you all!

Schmiggle, I see you are right - There is no D. menneus, I read wrong! Genera Menneus, though this is Deinopis. I have video of it feeding too.... incredible creatures.

Toff202

Arachnoknight
Great pictures! I think the second is a Damastes species.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
I'm lazy with my inverts. I've been seeking IDs for small collembolans and things for the frog work. I have the contact of some malagasy invert experts, I'll shoot pics over and share all my inverts with any IDs I can find. I love the comments I'm getting about them - it makes me wish I photographed more. I think I'll be back this year, so keep your eyes peeled! It's not all that uncommon to find undocumented inverts from Madagascar.