Some advice?

Dexity

Arachnopeon
Ok I read and read and read, and every site seems to say something different on the subject. Being how important is humidity? The TKG says not so much, just a water dish is fine, since I got all my T's I have been misting the walls and substrate daily, with a few exceptions. Now reading more I come to understand that the only ones it really matters for are my A. Versicolor and my N.chromatus, another issue is my heater, drying out the air, I got a humidifier last night but still my N. Chromatus's humidity was at 40 after misting and my Brachypelma albopilosum was at 60 without misting, this makes no sense to me! How truely important is humidity to the survival of the three listed breeds. (all my other T's are desertish breeds so I know it does not matter). Thanks in advance!

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok I read and read and read, and every site seems to say something different on the subject. Being how important is humidity? The TKG says not so much, just a water dish is fine, since I got all my T's I have been misting the walls and substrate daily, with a few exceptions. Now reading more I come to understand that the only ones it really matters for are my A. Versicolor and my N.chromatus, another issue is my heater, drying out the air, I got a humidifier last night but still my N. Chromatus's humidity was at 40 after misting and my Brachypelma albopilosum was at 60 without misting, this makes no sense to me! How truely important is humidity to the survival of the three listed breeds. (all my other T's are desertish breeds so I know it does not matter). Thanks in advance!
The biggest question IMO is how big are the tarantulas? If they are adults a water dish should be adequate. Read this thread (second page) http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1788004#post1788004

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those three are fairly hardy as far as I understand.

There are very few common Ts that require very stringent requirements, the only one of mine that I worry about is my L. viocelopaths (wrong spelling i know) common name: Singapore Blue.

I think constant temperature is more important than a constant humidity level; so long as there is a water dish they'll be fine. You'd probably see them in the water dish if it was too dry.

Dexity

Arachnopeon
They are all about the same size, I would say 3.5 inches. The A. Versicolor has recently molted, when they are in premolt I am more consistant with the misting. I actually had the privalige of wathcing Bella (my pinktoe) molt this last time, it was a stressful night, thought she was dead and my sugar gliders got out to roam my house... So if I just use a waterdish and the humidity gets down to 30% they should be fine?

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could try using a wider water dish. Wide and shallow is best for continuous evaporation and, therefore, humidity. You probably saw in the TKG when they say that with an avic you could even put a water dish in that covers the whole bottom of the enclosure if you wanted, since they live on the sides. What type of enclosure are you using? If they have screentops, you could also cover half the screen or so to prevent moisture loss.

Dexity

Arachnopeon
ya its a screen top, but I worry, covering half of it would help the mold grow, and my house is keen for that I am suprised I have yet to have any mold pop up in any of their homes. And I have seen her on the bottom so I would not want to completely cover the bottom, although I suppose if i put rocks in it it wouldnt matter. does anyone know anyone who sells a water dish that will mount to the side of a glass cage?