solifugids in california?

lou420

Arachnopeon
hey guys i know we have them here but where exactly are they? i read they are in baja and nevada? would really want to go but only if it can be confirmed .im not to far im in L.A but i know i can find tons of cool scorpions in nevada

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
maybe some people there locally can give you some pointers and places to try, but it's not going to be easy and simple like going out looking for scorps. if it's anything like here in CO, it's a lucky crap-shoot. the odds of them being out depend on a ton of variables like temperature, recent rain, darkness, etc, etc. i never go looking for them, but always keep a sharp eye out for them. i would be disappointed if i intentionally went out to find them. i will stumble across them fairly often though by just keeping an eye out.

i know that's not too helpful, but that's the advice i give in looking for soli's.

good luck, and again, maybe somebody locally can help a little more!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
actually i do tend to find them in the same places as scorps, though FAR less frequently. i find them flipping in chaparral and like, psuedochaparral that is not as harsh as the real deal.

i have seen like... ~300 scorpions and maybe about 15 soli's while out and about.

of course, two of those soli's *were* in my house and found me... so i don't know what to make of that =P

lou, i go bug hunting fairly often and find them around my house and the hills i usually look in. you can join/watch http://scabies.myfreeforum.org/forum33.php for hikes that are in your area. if you join you can post up that you want to find bugs and see who is down to go with you

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I grew up in Northern California, and have seen quite a few in various places, usually chaparral type habitat a someone indicated already. Sierra foothills, Livermore valley....I always find them wandering, never go looking for them.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
hey guys i know we have them here but where exactly are they? i read they are in baja and nevada? would really want to go but only if it can be confirmed .im not to far im in L.A but i know i can find tons of cool scorpions in nevada
hey, i know several places in the area that you can successfully find solifugids, agoura and calabasses being two of them. I personally am in possession of 25 personally caught by me. Im also located in LA, so if you want we might be able to meet up and go collecting. PM me and we can talk more.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
maybe some people there locally can give you some pointers and places to try, but it's not going to be easy and simple like going out looking for scorps. if it's anything like here in CO, it's a lucky crap-shoot. the odds of them being out depend on a ton of variables like temperature, recent rain, darkness, etc, etc. i never go looking for them, but always keep a sharp eye out for them. i would be disappointed if i intentionally went out to find them. i will stumble across them fairly often though by just keeping an eye out.

i know that's not too helpful, but that's the advice i give in looking for soli's.

good luck, and again, maybe somebody locally can help a little more!
what species do you encounter in CO?

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found them in the mountains around Temecula. I'd also receive a number of calls from people that would find them in their basements around there. I'm not in California anymore, so I can't be much help in future acquisitions.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd love to get one of the larger ones :) But I hear they are hard to care for. Now I'm going to have to keep my eyes open, I live in Nevada and have never seen one.... But I DO know that my friend found a large one in their yard... they were so scared of it they called animal control lol