Solifugids aka Camel spiders

Webslinger

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I'm re-posting from another board as suggested :D

I have been looking into these for awhile and it seems that although difficult to keep in captivity these make for very interesting inverts. The only trouble is finding anyone who actually imports or breeds them.

Does anyone know of an invert breeder/importer who carries solifugids? Particularly the Galeodes granti 'Giant Camel Spider'.

Also does anyone here have one now that can comment on what their experience has been with them?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
ok, home from work :D
experience, here goes: they are not too difficult to keep in captivity. just provide them with plenty of room to run around, and a hide or two to chill out under. if not given anywhere to hide, they will run around until they simply die, from stress of not having a hide (course, there are always exceptions, but as a general rule...). most (if not all) are dry climate animals, so i have always kept mine on sand. seems to work great. you can mix in a little bit of peat if you want to, b/c every once in awhile i'll get one that likes to burrow a lot! always always have a water dish. they are absolute eating machines and will eat every day or two. never can satisfy the little buggers...:evil:
my suggestion: if you've never owned a solpugid, get one of the little common ones from someone. that way you can get a little experience before you go off and buy a big one from someone... just my 2 cents...
and i can't help with where to buy one, sorry... just look around :D
hope this helps!!

p.s. make sure it can't escape it's cage!!! ;P

Hello,

I'm re-posting from another board as suggested :D

I have been looking into these for awhile and it seems that although difficult to keep in captivity these make for very interesting inverts. The only trouble is finding anyone who actually imports or breeds them.

Does anyone know of an invert breeder/importer who carries solifugids? Particularly the Galeodes granti 'Giant Camel Spider'.

Also does anyone here have one now that can comment on what their experience has been with them?

Webslinger

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the info,

I've been trying to track one down for weeks with no luck. There are a few people out of country who keep them in stock but it seems nobody in the U.S. currently have the large granti.

Anyone who comes across this thread and has a friend who breeds or has importing access to these please drop me a line. price is not an issue and I already have an enclosure set up for one :D

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
only feed them one large meal a week. A common mistake is over feeding. and the reason the are hard to find is not many have luck with breeding them. a year ago or so there were many in the US but everyone bought them and they died within 6 months so nobody wanted them any more. They also need high temps but more important they need a cooling period some where in the 60's. hope this helps

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have brought in multiple species of solifugids on a few occasions. They are definitely interesting to keep and voracious eaters! As people have already posted, they are pretty straight forward to keep, basically you're looking at a desert like climate with a good amount of room to move around. I think one of the reasons they are difficult to find is that most of the specimens that are available are wild caught, and they often get beat around a lot during shipping, are dehydrated or given too much water to try to rehydrate them etc. I've had a few DOA's just because of stress from shipping so it's definitely something to keep in mind if you are looking at bringing any in. I have had several grravid individuals come in but again, many were so stressed from shipping that I didn't have much luck with getting any good eggs.
If you can find any and they are in good condition when they come in, there shouldn't be any problem getting them setup and eating quickly. They are definitely entertaining to watch!

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for all the info,

I've been trying to track one down for weeks with no luck. There are a few people out of country who keep them in stock but it seems nobody in the U.S. currently have the large granti.

Anyone who comes across this thread and has a friend who breeds or has importing access to these please drop me a line. price is not an issue and I already have an enclosure set up for one :D

Jason @ the Arachnoporium has the G.Granti~ My oppinion says however that they're a smaller one as the Camel spiders that I remember seeing when I was in Isreal were definatly Larger than what he imports...He's not too pricy with them either, So I'd look there first...IF not try one of his Fuzzy Green and Orange Solfugids ;)