Solifugid ID please?

emperor

Arachnopeon
hello, been a long time since i posted here, but i just couldn't resist this beauty at the shop...this is the only picture i could find online at the moment, as i don't know the proper scientific name, and the source of this picture was in German.
it was sold to me as an "Egyptian sun spider" if that helps:
http://www.tiscalinet.ch/alber001/spinnen/Solifugae spec-1_1.jpg
i was told they can live about 2 years. all i know is it's quite small, maybe an inch and a half, and meant to be a baby. i have numerous other arachnids, but this is my first foray into the world of solifugids...and i must say i'm really pleased about it!
any help would be wonderful!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
sick! that's awesome!!! :eek: :clap: i love solpugids. fast metabolisms. feed every other day or so. they like it dry, but give a little water in a dish. and a place to hide. and room to roam. mine do great on sand with a hide. very nice!!!{D

emperor

Arachnopeon
thanks! do you know the scientific name though for this particular species, please?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i had those before,i believe they are adults different sp. mine lived acouple of months, where i got them they called them"hairy windscorpions" but i think they are different from the giant galodes. but again i'm not completely positive on these.in the time i had them they didn't molt at all.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Coming up on Google image search for "Galeodes granti" means that phrase is somewhere on the page that picture is featured. On the German forum page that has that phrase and links to the picture (this is what google is finding) it is described as "Galeodes spec." Where the image is originally from calls it "Solifugae spec."

(babel fish, from the german forums: "It acts with my new roller spiders around a lightyellow, extremely pelzige kind, those naturally as always indefinitely acted, in the InterNet only as Galeodes spec., or popular: "fluffy wind mirror-image that" emerges. I found several photos in the Web, one of it am to be found here: http://www.tiscalinet.ch/alber001/sp... 20spec-1_1.jpg The private dealer indicated that the kind was a maximum size reached by 6 cm and more stably as well as more long-lived than Granti.")

formi

Arachnopeon
Hi,
In my country about two months ago were sold 3 species of Galeodes from Egypt. If this animal is from the same import it was sold as G. spec. vulpinus. I can send You foto of all three species (vulpinus, arabicus, granti) if You wish...
excuse my English :8o

Last edited:

emperor

Arachnopeon
that'd be very helpful thanks! so far, it's been quite hard to ID this little fellow.

also, aren't they meant to be fast and aggressive? mine seems shy and retiring...though maybe it's just cause it's young.

i'm going to have to invest on temperature controls so i can allow this little beauty to hibernate.

i'm sorry if i'm asking questions answered on other threads, but how do you sex solifugids?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i'm sorry if i'm asking questions answered on other threads, but how do you sex solifugids?
there's probably a more scientific method to go by, but in general, the females are much fatter with shorter legs and palps, whereas the males have small bodies and really really long legs and palps.

emperor

Arachnopeon
it really looks like G. caspius on solpugid.com...strange!
well well, it may be a female then.
also, if it's G. caspius, it'd be from Khazakstan in which case naming it "Anubis" is probably inappropriate in two levels{D

Zach Valois

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is a Paragaleodes species, the use of a key would give you a better awnser. As your merchant deemed, the animal is likely from Egypt. Dichotomous keys seem to work the best for me.

Zach Valois

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
only this family tabular key >http://www.solpugid.com/Key%20to%20Families.htm> on Warren Savary's site.
All my keys are from hours upon hours of interlibrary loan system. First buy or should i say INVEST in Punzo's book, then look in the back for the references.
Simple put, it is a gold mine of wonderful journal papers. Go to your local library and start requesting the citations. But there have also been alot of new papers, species, and KEYS since that publication. The oh so great Warren Savary has a envious citation list on his site also. Takes some time, and some indepth reading.
And in eyes the only way to get considerably effective at this type of work (ie. organismal biology) a righteous path of college is mandatory. (which is the road i'm leading to now) On the contrary dichotomous keys seem to be the most accurate and available (although the experience, and perception of the identifier
predict the outcome).

The 'online journal of arachnology', via the American Arachnological Society website also plays host to some great papers. Check them out if you haven't, there are keys floating around depending on which species/genus/family you are referring to.

Zach