Solifugid female (Eremobates?) laid eggs...

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Caught her about a week ago, guess she was gravid, a few days after capture I started seeing eggs through her abdomen, which changed color from greyish to white... Then she popped out a whole bunch of eggs, after which I removed her from the enclosure and released her, as she was wandering around and I feared she'd eat the eggs... It wasn't really my intention to get offspring from her in the first place, but I figured I'd give rearing them a try, though that seems like it'll be a lot easier said than done...

If anyone has advice on rearing them from eggs to adults, lemme know! Confirmation or corrections on my tentative ID of Eremobates sp. would be much appreciated too!

Here are some pics:

EDIT: It would appear this is Eremobates hodai. :)

Last edited:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
@wizentrop would provably have the most experience, although from what I read you should generally keep the eggs similarly to the mother and they’ll hatch in a month or so, although I don’t have any first hand experience so take my advice with a grain of salt

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Very cool! Keep us posted. These guys are notoriously difficult to keep in captivity, but you're notoriously good at this kind of thing (or so I've tended to observe), so I'm glad to see you're giving it a go.

Maybe you could even breed the offspring :O though I shouldn't get ahead of myself...

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
@wizentrop would provably have the most experience, although from what I read you should generally keep the eggs similarly to the mother and they’ll hatch in a month or so, although I don’t have any first hand experience so take my advice with a grain of salt
I hear the eggs can have a high mortality rate, I'll just be keeping them on the humid side as others have and hope for the best, I threw in some springtails to keep things clean in there and to serve as potential food for the hatchlings, (they're big springtails).

Very cool! Keep us posted. These guys are notoriously difficult to keep in captivity, but you're notoriously good at this kind of thing (or so I've tended to observe), so I'm glad to see you're giving it a go.

Maybe you could even breed the offspring :O though I shouldn't get ahead of myself...
I'll be sure to keep you all posted, I have my expectations set pretty low considering the lack of success others have had in rearing hatchling up in the past, but I'll try my best. 😅

Haha now THAT might be impossible, I don't know if anyone's successfully paired Solifugids in captivity, they may or may not require a lot of space to run around for that, which is hard to provide in the confines of an enclosure... Just rearing the babies would be a big success IMO. 😄

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I don't know if anyone's successfully paired Solifugids in captivity, they may or may not require a lot of space to run around for that
It's been done and they do. The big book on them whose name I always forget says you can basically use a giant Tupperware for them to run around on the sand in, if I remember correctly. Evidently no one's been able to keep that up long term.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
It's been done and they do. The big book on them whose name I always forget says you can basically use a giant Tupperware for them to run around on the sand in, if I remember correctly. Evidently no one's been able to keep that up long term.
Interesting, didn't think much literature on breeding/rearing them existed! Good to know, perhaps captive breeding would be feasible then, if I can just rear these offspring up to adulthood... 🤔 Guess we'll see! 😂

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I looking forward to seeing the progression on this thread and whether or not you are successful! Always wanted to try with them but always seemed to difficult!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I looking forward to seeing the progression on this thread and whether or not you are successful! Always wanted to try with them but always seemed to difficult!
Thanks, I'll be sure to keep you all updated! 😁

Apparently this is most likely Eremobates hodai BTW, one of only four Solifugids recorded from Idaho, and is known to live in my county. It'll probably be a month or so until I see eggs hatching, so there probably won't be many updates until then.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
We've got babies! 😁 Now to get them to and past L2...

Here they are in the weird EWL stage...

And here there are the next day after hatching:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I wish you lived in Canada... I'd totally be trying to buy some from you LOL :rofl:
Haha well at this stage they couldn't be shipped, only in the next instar could shipping even be considered, but most people can't get them past that next instar, so it would still be irresponsible to sell any at that stage.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Haha well at this stage they couldn't be shipped, only in the next instar could shipping even be considered, but most people can't get them past that next instar, so it would still be irresponsible to sell any at that stage.
Never mind, most people don't even get to see eggs from Solifgae sp. You're very lucky ! :)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Lmk if u are selling them at any stage lol
Will do, probably pretty unlikely though given how difficult they're supposed to be to rear, I'll be very lucky to get them past L2, most experts in this family haven't even had much luck doing that.