Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Solifugae sluggish with eggs

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by mantisfan101, Nov 13, 2019.

1. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoangel Active Member

Advertisement
    What does a gravid solifugae behave like? I can see what might be eggs on the belly of my paragaleodes but she’s acting really sluggish and is in this scrunched up position, almost like a stressed out T. I tried nudging her and she had barely any response; I tried picking her up and she was basically limp, and still remained in that scrunched up position. Can someone assure me as to what’s happening? Do gravid solifuage normally slow down and act really sluggish/limp, or is she going to die? I have her in a 2 oz deli cup with some dry sand.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. mantisfan101

Bump, @Smokehound714 csn you help? I saw that my other female has these same looking things in her abdomen as well.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  3. Tuisto

Tuisto Arachnosquire

AR
    Can you provide a picture of what you see on their underside?

4. mantisfan101

5. mantisfan101

Bump, now my other female has eggs but isn’t as fat.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  6. wizentrop

wizentrop to the rescue! Old Timer

7. mantisfan101

Thanks for the pic and yeah, I heard that sometimes the intestines can press up against the outside of their bodies and this is what I’m probably seeing. However, I’ve seen some solifuges and amblypygids with this similar appearance and they produced eggs/young; is it possible that these are just underdeveloped eggs?

8. wizentrop

wizentrop to the rescue! Old Timer

hmm... I have to say I don't think so. You see, this is a bit too many eggs. 70-80 eggs would already be considered a lot for a solifugid, and here we see many many particles. The color is also important.
    With Amblypygi, on the other hand - yes. Any spheres that you see reflecting through the female's underside would be eggs, but even non-mated females show this. It's a good tool for sexing purposes, but it doesn't mean they are gravid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.