Sold As Female, What Do You Think? M Or F?

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought a B. boehmei that was sold as female. The T came in the mail yesterday, and my first impression was that the T kind of looks like a MM. The abdomen is really small, and slender like an MM, but any way I'm not judging the T by how it looks dorsally. I think the furrow looks rather male, but maybe that has to do with how skinny this T is.

The person sent the last molt along with the T, but it was already cracked, and I couldnt make out anything due to the condition.
They said they posted a pic of the previous molt some where, and she was told that the T is a female, but I havn't seen the pic. I'm wondering if maybe what the person saw in the pic of the molt was actually male accessory organs. Do B. boehmei's have large accessory organs? I know my vagans tricked me with them.

Male Or Female? The Ts around 4"-4.5"

Tang

Arachnopeon
I'm guessing female, but I'm no pro in sexing.Just try my luck here..
Hopes I'm right too. :D

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm guessing female, but I'm no pro in sexing.Just try my luck here..
Hopes I'm right too. :D
Then why bother at all? If you are not sure and if you are just trying your luck then why not simply tell the OP to flip a 2-sided coin, as it would then have an equal chance of being correct as your guess?

OP: Looks very male to me.

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does any one know if B. boehmei males have large accessory organs? I wonder why they think the T is a female, cause everything ventrally says male to me.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im thinkin male, due to what I see as the "bulls eye" in that pic.

Tang

Arachnopeon
Then why bother at all? If you are not sure and if you are just trying your luck then why not simply tell the OP to flip a 2-sided coin, as it would then have an equal chance of being correct as your guess?

OP: Looks very male to me.
LOL!! dun mean to do any harm, if I dun try, I'll always be a noob rite?
Really thought it was a female.:eek:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ No you learn by properly studying male and female parts. note the differences and learning that way. Not by taking a 50-50 guess....;)

I suggest you start in the "sexing sub forum" study what to look for and come back.

To the OP- Looks very male as already stated. I would contact the seller, and inform them of the situation and then wait for a molt for 100% proof of a wrongly sexed spider.

Good luck.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought a B. boehmei that was sold as female. The T came in the mail yesterday, and my first impression was that the T kind of looks like a MM. The abdomen is really small, and slender like an MM, but any way I'm not judging the T by how it looks dorsally.
If it's a mature male, shouldn't you be able to tell by looking at the pedipalps? Or maybe the tibia on the front legs? Seems like that would be far more obvious than some of the features you are looking for. Or was "MM" a mistake and you are actually looking at an immature male?

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it's a mature male, shouldn't you be able to tell by looking at the pedipalps? Or maybe the tibia on the front legs? Seems like that would be far more obvious than some of the features you are looking for. Or was "MM" a mistake and you are actually looking at an immature male?
I'm not saying I think or thought it's a MM, I just meant that upon the first glimpse I got of the T it looked mature male-ish to me.

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok I just got these pics from the seller. I should have asked for these before I bought the T:wall: They're are not the worst, but they could have been better. Any way I couldn't make out anything.

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is the "Female" B. vagans that I also got along with the "Female" B. boehmei.
I didn't question this one so much at first, because I was pre-occupied with the boehmei, and also the vagans was said to be a proven breeder so I gave it the benifit of the doubt at first.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the seller isn't actually sure if it's a proven breeder. The previous owner told the seller it was. So yeah......

What do you all think?

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That "slit" is always there for both male and female. What you are looking for is spermathecae where that "slit" should be just like in BCscorp's picture.

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That "slit" is always there for both male and female. What you are looking for is spermathecae where that "slit" should be just like in BCscorp's picture.
I know what to look for. It's the seller who doesn't know how to sex Ts, and apparantly people who sexed them for her don't know how to either, or they just been lying to her. Those pictures, and the caption are from the original owner.