Social behavior?

GingerC

Arachnosquire
Disclaimer: I am not a hobbyist. I have a single pet scorpion (wouldn't pet her, though ;) ) and have no intention of obtaining any new scorpions, let alone starting a communal enclosure.

Anyway, I've been reading lots of care sheets lately, and apparently some scorpions are actually "social" animals to some extent. The sources stating this haven't provided any examples of social behavior beyond "not eating each other when you keep them in a tank together", and my Google searches have been painfully devoid of any information.

I have a strong interest in animal cognition and behavior, and this extends to invertebrates as well, so I'm really craving some in-depth information on this particular subject. Just throw anything you have at me. Social, dominance, territoriality, courtship, anything!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some species are "social", yes.

Pandinus
(sensu lato) and Heterometrus species in particular have quite interesting behavior. Everything from numerous individuals cohabiting in the same burrow, to territorial disputes, extended parental care by the mother, sometimes sharing large prey items, etc.

I'd recommend getting a couple and observing it for yourself.