Sociable exotic animals

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Any exotic animal that’s social. Anything from a reptile to a flying squirrel. From a muntjac deer or fennec fox to a capybara. Is there any exotic animal that will demand attention.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I hear raccoons are extremely demanding of attention. My husbands dad has had skunks for years and they’re a lot like cats too.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Any exotic animal that’s social. Anything from a reptile to a flying squirrel. From a muntjac deer or fennec fox to a capybara. Is there any exotic animal that will demand attention.
Parrots- esp conures!!!!!! Neediest animals I’m aware of

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
esp conures
Do you take this bird to be your lawfully wedded as a permanent attention demanding presence in your life? We have several conure keepers around here. Those birds all throw hissy fits if they aren't the center of your world and most get really jealous if they aren't. They also all seem to develop unique personalities.
Otherwise all near new born ruminants will adopt a human as a foster parent.

The Snark

Old Timer
@viper69 I don't know how conure keepers stand it, or keep their sanity. Those birds have a library of attention getting tricks. Burrow in your clothes, pull your hair, bite or nibble, try to land on your nose, go sit where you are trying to sit down. So they lock them up for some peace of mind and they bitch, and bitch, and bitch.

Bird #1 tries to get a drink.

So #2 tries to steal the straw.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's like having a 2 year old..... For 50 years lol.
Dude!!! That's exactly what I tell everyone-- 2 yr olds with wings BRUTAL. Never owned birds-- too demanding, gorgeous, but demanding.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Dude!!! That's exactly what I tell everyone-- 2 yr olds with wings BRUTAL. Never owned birds-- too demanding, gorgeous, but demanding.
Lol luckily almost all birds I've had the pleasure of working with have hated me. I've only had one bird (a Moluccan Cockatoo) that actually seemed to enjoy my presence. Everything else, like quakers, lesser sulphur crested cockatoos, scarlet macaws, military macaws, sun conures, rainbow lorikeets, cockatiels, and even peacocks have tried to take off digits or chunks of flesh. Makes it really easy to rationalize not keeping them lol.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol luckily almost all birds I've had the pleasure of working with have hated me. I've only had one bird (a Moluccan Cockatoo) that actually seemed to enjoy my presence. Everything else, like quakers, lesser sulphur crested cockatoos, scarlet macaws, military macaws, sun conures, rainbow lorikeets, cockatiels, and even peacocks have tried to take off digits or chunks of flesh. Makes it really easy to rationalize not keeping them lol.
Sun conures are gorgeous

The Snark

Old Timer
Lol luckily almost all birds I've had the pleasure of working with have hated me.
Not that I'm anywhere near an expert here but you haven't made a rapport with them. They treat you the same as a stranger bird of their own kind. Many animals act the same way with others of their own species and other species are at best tolerated. Sometimes the nasty overture goes away in minutes or even seconds with more sociably animals. Sometimes the rapport has to be established.
The best example I can give is working with wild horses. Exactly as you described with those birds and they will stay that way. Push getting in their space and they can't get away, expect a bite or kick.

I would add, building a rapport varies with individual animals as well as species. When I've gentled horses it can take anywhere from a few minutes on out to weeks. (This is rapport I'm talking about. Establishing mutual acceptance. Not the cowboy subjugation bullcrap)
Also, individual humans vary as far as acceptance goes. It's common for me to take several one to two hour sessions gentling a horse. Sis very often can do it in under an hour.

Last edited:

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
When I meant sociable animals I meant cat and dog sociable not something that is going to peck my hand every 10 seconds so I can watch it repeat the phrase I just said

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Not that I'm anywhere near an expert here but you haven't made a rapport with them.
You're dead on and I didn't mean to convey it in a way that suggests I've spent massive amounts of time trying to establish trust and still failed. The majority of birds I've worked with have been at educational facilities I volunteered at when I was younger. While I might see them for an hour or two every weekend, it definently wasn't enough time to establish any kind of relationship. The only bird that seemed to be friendly with everyone from the start was Louis, a Moluccan Cockatoo. Pet him behind the neck and give him a treat and you had a friend for life lol.

When I meant sociable animals I meant cat and dog sociable not something that is going to peck my hand every 10 seconds so I can watch it repeat the phrase I just said
Lol your original post says "demands attention". There is no other animal that can demand attention like a bright, colorful bird with the mentality of a 2 year old shrieking at 100+ decibels in your ear lol. If you're looking for other suggestions, their are plenty. Coatimundis come to mind. They're basically South American raccoons that love to play and get into trouble. They'll pretty much require constant supervision when out of their enclosure (they will figure out door locks, handles, etc by themselves relatively quickly).

The Snark

Old Timer
You're dead on and I didn't mean to convey it in a way that suggests I've spent massive amounts of time trying to establish trust and still failed.
An open secret from us indians when working with horses, or any animals. They can read your heart.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
binturong is also cool. I just don’t know how well these animals will do in captivity. Genets also look really cool.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@viper69 I don't know how conure keepers stand it, or keep their sanity. Those birds have a library of attention getting tricks. Burrow in your clothes, pull your hair, bite or nibble, try to land on your nose, go sit where you are trying to sit down. So they lock them up for some peace of mind and they bitch, and bitch, and bitch.

Bird #1 tries to get a drink.

So #2 tries to steal the straw.
Wild conures?

The Snark

Old Timer
Wild conures?
It's a group of conure enthusiasts. Periodically they pack their birds, around 75-100, up in traveling boxes and take them up on top of the dam at sundown - after the raptors have called it quits for the day - with no trees nearby to distract the birds. The place turns into something like a free for all in a day care center. All the birds have marked personalities from refusing to leave their boxes to bickering and squabbling with each other to having races on out to the delinquents that see how much trouble they can get into. Trying to steal things and investigating onlookers bodies and clothing a preferred form of entertainment. The people that go out to the dam for picnics of evening socializing get warned they will become perches, poop targets, and nothing is safe from the inquisitive birds.
Since it's usually all local Thai's up there, picnicking or just getting away from the city, and proper social etiquette and conduct in public is mandatory, nobody becomes a problem. If they can't handle the birds they just move away to another part of the dam. They just consider the birds silly wayward children and an intrinsic part of Thai culture is being kind and gentle with children.

Last edited: