Soaked substrate

shogun8

Arachnopeon
I have a 1 inch lasiodora klugi. I have a super tiny water bowl (top of a bottle cap) in its enclosure. As of late it is showing signs of premolt (not eating, dark spot on abdomen) and everythings fine. But it seems like the T is somehow draining out the water bowl really quickly whether its drinking it really fast or spreading it all over the substrate. I have to refill it like very 30 mins but I never catch her at the water bowl and the substrate is currently soaked. Its soaked to the point where if I squeeze the substrate real hard a little water drips. All the substrate is wet not only where the water bowl is. Anyone know what might be happening? And should I stop filling the water dish?

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How is your ventillation? What are you using for a waterdish? You are the one in control of how much water you put in the enclosure. Clearly it is going from the dish to the substrate either from a hole, or the T dumping it, or some other way, so I would suggest not putting so much water in there. Fill it. Leave it. Repeat tomorrow. They don't need excess amounts of water, and can go days without it directly. Unlike a more advanced animal where it is best to have water available at all times, the Ts will be fine.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depends on your substrate and some other factors.

If it's coco fiber than any small sliver or hair of the fiber may be resting inside the bowl and acts as a wick to draw it out of the cap into the existing substrate. Also a bit of silk the spider has laid down can do this as well. Check to see if the spider hasn't webbed over it even a small bit as it will also wick out the water into the existing substrate.

The T as well could be doing this however in most cases either the water bowl/cap is moved around or substrate dumped right into the bowl itself. Many of my species of terrestrials will do this and after a few cleanings and filling back up if they continue to do it I just let them go for a few days while the existing "blob" of wet substrate dries and try again.

If the substrate is to the point where you've refilled and it's wicked out enough to be dripping wet it's already too moist. Check your husbandry by cleaning out the water dish and checking for the above mentioned reasons it can wick out. I would stop with just refilling it if all your doing is soaking the substrate and let it dry out. You'll start to get any number of issues with that moist of a substrate including mold and fungus over time (been there).

Get a new water dish as well if this one is cracked, leaking or easily tipped by the T causing the same issue. Any which way I would move the dish to allow the already over saturated area to dry before doing what you've been doing again and again.

Cheers,

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The liklihood is the substrate is using capiliary action to drain from the water bowl.
Whether you use a bowl or just dampen the substrate is your choice, the T can take it from each. What you need to avoid is keeping your T in an enclosure that is soaking as this can have a detrimental affect on your T. Its much better to provide a moist area in your enclosure as well as a dry area. Personally I'd only provide more water once a week or when the substrate dries out as they'll get most of the water supply from the food they eat.

shogun8

Arachnopeon
thanks so much guys I just realized that it was my T that kept pushing dirt into the water dish and the substrate (eco earth) was having a wick effect and soaking everything. Im gonna leave it for a few days hopefully it will dry out real quick and she beings to molt soon.
Thanks alot guy

webbedone

Arachnobaron
The liklihood is the substrate is using capiliary action to drain from the water bowl.
Whether you use a bowl or just dampen the substrate is your choice, the T can take it from each. What you need to avoid is keeping your T in an enclosure that is soaking as this can have a detrimental affect on your T. Its much better to provide a moist area in your enclosure as well as a dry area. Personally I'd only provide more water once a week or when the substrate dries out as they'll get most of the water supply from the food they eat.
+1 on this i've seen my t's do both sit there with erected fangs over the moist substrate sucking the moisture and climb over the water bowl and have a sip