So, you want a female do you?

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
Then how many Brachypelma Hamorii slings would you buy? Serious question. My grandson really wants a T that's going to be around for awhile. I'm looking at some of the bulk sling offers and giving this serious thought.

Not looking for guarantees here, anecdotal thoughts are gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Vince

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
This is a good question. IMO only in regards to what I would do even knowing it's still similiar to an RNG scenario, (random number generator) I would buy 3 to 4 slings.

Price for me would dictate if I want to go with more or not.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
I’d personally just get 3 or 4....hope one ends up female. How many coin flips do you normally lose? Lmao

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I usually buy 3 slings of a species or 1 female. If the slings are cheap sometimes 5. I would definitely buy a certain young female for the little one!

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Someone I know has adult females for sale, but they're not cheap. They are gorgeous though. I personally would go for 3, but obviously 6 would make your odds better.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
One, actually. You can still get one confirmed female sling around 1.5” size or even 3” to 4” juvie, they will still be around quite some time.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
1 or 2
Always remember to buy at least 6 to guarantee at least one of the opposite sex. I've used this chart many many times for fish, reptiles and amphibians. You can't go wrong, it's math.
What on earth do you need 6 of one species for? :cool:. If you had only 5 different species you’d have 30 individuals……that silly to me

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
1 or 2

What on earth do you need 6 of one species for? :cool:. If you had only 5 different species you’d have 30 individuals……that silly to me
This is about the chances of getting a female right?
What that chart means is if you purchase 6 slings or hamsters, black market babies, or whatever, 6 gives you a 97% chance of at least one of the opposite sex. If you purchase 7 the probability only goes up by 1 percent. Purchasing 5 gives you a 94% chance of obtaining at least one of the opposite sex.

Obviously anyone can spend the extra cash and buy a sexed juvi, but if you are starting with slings 6 is the magic number.

joossa

Arachnobaron
Assuming I can find one in the confines of budget. :rolleyes:
Just save up the money for a confirmed female. So worth it! I got mine in January of this year. She's 4.5in and I got her in a huge tank (inappropriate for her) from a local private seller on Craigslist for $180. Deals are out there. You just have to look.

cold blood

Staff member
Take the amount you value a female at....divide it by the cost of the slings and buy that number.

Then sell the remainder once you get a female and get much or all of your money back.

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
Take the amount you value a female at....divide it by the cost of the slings and buy that number.

Then sell the remainder once you get a female and get much or all of your money back.
That is actually what I was thinking. :geek:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer

This is why people don’t buy “unsexed” slings up for grabs in small numbers. I’ve always bought unsexed slings then sex all of them and offer them as sexed. Or just resale all without sexing any. Any other way is just cheating the next person.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Always remember to buy at least 6 to guarantee at least one of the opposite sex. I've used this chart many many times for fish, reptiles and amphibians. You can't go wrong, it's math.
Then how many Brachypelma Hamorii slings would you buy? Serious question. My grandson really wants a T that's going to be around for awhile. I'm looking at some of the bulk sling offers and giving this serious thought.

Not looking for guarantees here, anecdotal thoughts are gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Vince
There’s no number, other than “a lot”

No one has firm idea how many from a sac are male or female.

Given this, your chance of getting either gender is not 50%, unless the entire sac is 50% male/female.

I’ve bought 3 all were male.

I’ve bought 5 and 2 were male, 3 female

I’ve bought one at 5 different times, different sacs- all were female.

The only way to get a female definitely is buy all of them, or buy a confirmed female.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
There is no good way to tell. And I think your chances are going to vary so widely between species that it mostly wouldn't matter anyway. An LP sac is going to have a much different ratio M/F than an Avic sac, and so on... IMO

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I would probably just buy a confirmed female... There's no way id want to part with the slings after spending so long raising them. Then if all 5 were female then you just have 5 of the same T for 30+ years

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Just a curiosity about this chart, wouldn’t the percentages given be dependent on there being an equal ratio of M and F for the seller to ship?