So who's a big bully then?

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's hilarious! XD
Where are you from by the way? The bigger ant reminds me of a bulldog ant.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's hilarious! XD
Where are you from by the way? The bigger ant reminds me of a bulldog ant.
South Australia. This encounter took place in the nest that belongs to the larger ant and it's syblings. The smaller ants are really aggressive. Almost every day, they basically wander into the larger ants' nest and do as they please. More than once, Ive seen them chase the larger ants. It's amusing watching the big ones run for their lives from something so small. I wish I had got that on tape.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wonder if they get fire ants in AU. They're quite invasive in the US (not as much as Argentine ants, though) Then again, I don't think those are the only red ants on earth but they do pack a wallop!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't some ants spit formic acid? It almost looked like the small ant spit a substance in the larger one's face when it went in for a sniff near the beginning of the video.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't some ants spit formic acid? It almost looked like the small ant spit a substance in the larger one's face when it went in for a sniff near the beginning of the video.
Gosh, I hadn't noticed that. I'll take another look and see if I can see such a substance. Maybe that explains why the bigger ant pulled it's head back twice.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wonder if they get fire ants in AU. They're quite invasive in the US (not as much as Argentine ants, though) Then again, I don't think those are the only red ants on earth but they do pack a wallop!
Yes, fire ants have made their way into Australia. Most of the ones here seem to be in Queensland. Local scientists are trying to find ways to get rid of them as best they can. Once I saw a documentary on the fire ant problem in the US. They sure look like a painful nuisance!

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When in grade school there were colonies of red ants and black ants. it seemed the black ants won by swarming over the red ants and getting them through sheer weight of numbers.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the guys in the vid that are bigger are jack jumpers, not something to mess with as they have powerful venom