So what should I get next?

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
You need some big South American eating machines: geniculata and some Pamphos. Phormics are good, as is Chromatopelma & E murinus. Plus a few more arboreals like P cambridgei & pulcher.

Chilobrachys & Selenocosmia are very industrious, always spinning and digging.
I'm so gonna end up with hundreds, keep naming species and I just keep adding to the list lmao

crlovel

Arachnopeon
I meet up with jiacovazzi about once a month at a restaurant parking lot to buy a few slings from him. It always feels like a drug deal.

cold blood

Staff member
Haha don't hate! Lol

I'm not saying never but a good 10+ years and no issues yet knock on wood.
Haha, I can relate....I was unaffected for about 12 years...then BAM...felt like I had poison ivy...and it all started with unpacking avics.

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
Haha, I can relate....I was unaffected for about 12 years...then BAM...felt like I had poison ivy...and it all started with unpacking avics.
Lmao figures! I'm sure it'll hit me sooner or later. I have hand exema so you'd think it's get to me more but who knows.

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
I meet up with jiacovazzi about once a month at a restaurant parking lot to buy a few slings from him. It always feels like a drug deal.
Lol! One say you're gonna get busted and the cops are gonna be so confused hahaha

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
What about Nhandu Chromatus? Thoughts? Never had one, they are quite pretty and I kinda like the reputation for being pissy. 5 to 6 seems to be the size? Are they girthy?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I will jump directly into the 'Dark Side' and buy a S.subspinipes :-s

centipedes changed my life :shifty:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What about Nhandu Chromatus? Thoughts? Never had one, they are quite pretty and I kinda like the reputation for being pissy. 5 to 6 seems to be the size? Are they girthy?
If you ask me not too much differents than A.geniculata (which I prefer as a personal note). Your average NW kicker, basically :)

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
I will jump directly into the 'Dark Side' and buy a S.subspinipes :-s

centipedes changed my life :shifty:
I tried my hand at the dark side and left 3 dead centipedes in my wake. 2 vietnamese and one Malaysian cherry red. First time I went too dry second to wet. I hate it cuz I adore them but damn.... I just suck at cent keeping. I might try an easier species next time if I ever go there.

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
If you ask me not too much differents than A.geniculata (which I prefer as a personal note). Your average NW kicker, basically :)
That's the thing comparing pics they are very similar but the Chromatus seems a bit more colorful. I'd think people would go there more so I'm trying to understand what makes one choose over the other haha

cold blood

Staff member
I personally love them, I think their creamy white carapace and deep (but bright after a molt) red rump make them look a little nicer than a genic...but only marginally.

They get to 6" range, and I've heard of 7" out of some females. I think their reputation for being "pissy" is over-stated IMO. I've raised nearly 30 and have yet to find one that's what I would call difficult to work with/around. Re-housing you may get a bolter or one posturing, but not to the point that I ever really had to do anything special. They are one of my favorite slings I've raised, right there with P. cams, N. incei and G. pulchripes.

They're beastly eaters, even as tiny slings, and they never lose that enthusiasm for food. Males, especially once they mature seem to be much more skittish, but generally I find them to hold their ground.
Slings (which is the route I generally recommend as they can be had really cheap.) grow quickly, mine were molting every 24-28 days pretty consistently until nearly 1.25", which is about the size their colors come in...even after they gain a little size they still molt pretty quickly. Once they get to, say, 4", this time between molts gets much longer (as one would expect).

Mine don't hide much unless a molt is imminent, so they're a great display species . They are also a species that will often take food just prior to molting...I've had slings eat in the am, and molt that night.

They prefer to have part of the sub damp, but once they get larger, they're pretty darn drought tolerant, so I keep them predominantly dry with a large water dish, only dampening the sub every few weeks.

They're known to be hair flickers, but I've actually never had one that was really bad...nothing like their cousin coloratovillsus, which is easily the "flickiest" t I have ever owned.

I hope to breed them this fall or winter.

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
I personally love them, I think their creamy white carapace and deep (but bright after a molt) red rump make them look a little nicer than a genic...but only marginally.

They get to 6" range, and I've heard of 7" out of some females. I think their reputation for being "pissy" is over-stated IMO. I've raised nearly 30 and have yet to find one that's what I would call difficult to work with/around. Re-housing you may get a bolter or one posturing, but not to the point that I ever really had to do anything special. They are one of my favorite slings I've raised, right there with P. cams, N. incei and G. pulchripes.

They're beastly eaters, even as tiny slings, and they never lose that enthusiasm for food. Males, especially once they mature seem to be much more skittish, but generally I find them to hold their ground.
Slings (which is the route I generally recommend as they can be had really cheap.) grow quickly, mine were molting every 24-28 days pretty consistently until nearly 1.25", which is about the size their colors come in...even after they gain a little size they still molt pretty quickly. Once they get to, say, 4", this time between molts gets much longer (as one would expect).

Mine don't hide much unless a molt is imminent, so they're a great display species . They are also a species that will often take food just prior to molting...I've had slings eat in the am, and molt that night.

They prefer to have part of the sub damp, but once they get larger, they're pretty darn drought tolerant, so I keep them predominantly dry with a large water dish, only dampening the sub every few weeks.

They're known to be hair flickers, but I've actually never had one that was really bad...nothing like their cousin coloratovillsus, which is easily the "flickiest" t I have ever owned.

I hope to breed them this fall or winter.
Can't wait to get mine!

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
Like I said, I was ready to go go full on into this thing and it's obvious now. I'll be receiving 12 T's soon. 6 this week, 6 next week. Mwahaha (insert evil laugh)

crlovel

Arachnopeon
I just made an arrangement with a local pet shop - now I get Zoo Med's Bug Terrarium for $20, however many I want, whenever I want.