So what planning should happen for M T's?

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Once you start learning what to look for either in a molt or by posting pics of your T's and asking.. Sex me please...
And you learn its a male.. what do YOU plan for your T...
Do you keep it till it nears maturity then find it a girlfriend?
Do you get rid of it while its young?

And how do you as a T keeper feel about this?
I have now, a P. Regalis sub adult male, a B. vagans sub adult male,
P. Cambridgei subadult male... and some slings too small to sex as of yet..

So how do we deal with this??
Just wondering...

:?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I'm all about breeding my T's. That's what I do. When a spiderling gets old enough to sex, I start planning. Usually I'm planning groups months in advance.

If you have mates for the males, not yet mature either, you can speed up the females, and slow down the males' growths to even them out.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To slow down you drop temperature and feed less. Nothing silly like 30 degrees. But more like mid to high 60's. This slows their metabolism down thus slowing everything else down.
On the flipside to speed it up increase temps and feed more.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i don't breed T's (yet...;) ) but as a T keeper i can only tell you what i would do.

1 - Depending on the species - if it was something that wasn't known for being very difficult to breed, i would start looking for a mature female. i wouldn't necessarily wait for him to mature to start looking as sometimes it can be hard to find just what you want and since females live quite a bit longer she will still be around for when your guy matures.

2 - You could offer it for sale at anytime - just make sure you advertise his size and most current molt so people could guesstimate when he might be ready for their female. i wouldn't try to sell as "unsexed" because that's just not cool...

3 - You could keep him until he matures and then offer him for sale or lease (and get back a percentage of the slings if the breeding is successful.)

i don't have a fraction of the experience of most people here so i'm sure more people will have better advice or more options. That's just what i would do in that situation from what i have learned so far. Good Luck! jules

*** i told you, you'd get a lot of better advice from experienced breeders. you got 3 or 4 replies just in the time it took me to write my post!!

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We breed when it is possible. I think it is good for our hobby to have more slings available.
Right now, we have sent out a male GBB, a male A. avic, a male A. purpurea. We just mated B. albos ourselves, the male B. albo is going out to breed with another female this weekend, and I currently have a B. boehmei, an A. geniculata, and L. parahybana males that aren't mature yet.
If I can find females I will definitely breed the boehmei and the genic, I'm not sure about the para. I don't know what I would do with over a thousand babies, which can be half of a para sack.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Once you start learning what to look for either in a molt or by posting pics of your T's and asking.. Sex me please...
And you learn its a male.. what do YOU plan for your T...
Do you keep it till it nears maturity then find it a girlfriend?
Do you get rid of it while its young?

And how do you as a T keeper feel about this?
I have now, a P. Regalis sub adult male, a B. vagans sub adult male,
P. Cambridgei subadult male... and some slings too small to sex as of yet..

So how do we deal with this??
Just wondering...

:?
I usually never by slings unless they are a rare T to come by at times, like G.pulchra, so I don't really have an issue with this, but right now I do have a couple of slings so this is what I would do if one turned out to be male; wait for it to mature and mate it with one of the females that I would have bought when I found out it was male, or if a female was unfindable(don't exactly know if that's a word or not but who cares) then I would have started looking for people who are willing to do a 50/50, and then send him out when he matured.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have everybody planned and with back-ups--just in case--as soon as I can sex them. 2-3 females will better your odds of having someone ready when he molts mature, and having 2 males, one a little behind the other, will improve your chances of either getting multiple bloodlines or matching up the female that wasn't ready when the first male was in his prime.