So this poor beastie

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I work at a Haunted house this fall, and one of the gals in my house said her sis-in-law had T she didn't want anymore. We finally got all the details - pinktoe, and cage, for $20. I said sure. She brings me this 3 gallon tank last night, and in it is this no-so-wee beastie. Skinny, on dry woodchips, with a fake plant hanging from the cage top. (I see all this vaguely in the light of the car dome last night at 5 am when I got home from Haunt.0

Said beastie is now rehomed on several inches of coco-earth, with two new cork bark logs (which she has already slowly climbed). With a clean water dish. I'll feed her here in a bit.

Her, yes? - as this spider is well over 6+ inches - really closer to 7". The container is a 6" tupperware. I've also included ruler pix...

Her (his/her) name is Top Shelf. Our haunt director told us to buy ourselves something to remember this year by. My character this year is a chef in an insane asylum at Haunt...lol. (And my other big pinktoe is Moji-Toes).

Oh, and sp? Can we tell just by photos? Not that it matters much, though.

Marga

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poor thing, it could use a good feeding! Good to hear that it will be well cared for now. :D

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A mettalica in desparate need of a good home.
Correction, in that last pic, looks like a MM.

Need a better pic, make sure he has water.

PIG-

Last edited:

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Do MMs really get over 7"? Has water, on damp substrate, has a cricket thrown in, but need some fresh ones tomorrow. Don't know how long his/her cage was dry. I'm replacing the water dish tomorrow as this one doesn't seem to be holding water.

Marga

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Reminds me of when I bought my Avic. avic a week ago, It had coco-fibre but it was as dry as a bone. All the poor thing had to drink was water polluted with moldy stones and a couple nasty swollen cricket gel blobs.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I agree with warpig, can you get a better pic of the pedipalps? if he is mature the "pink toes" should be gone on them.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Oh, no doubt he/she is mature. Ancient. I don't see pink on the palps, but no hooks either. I tried shooting a couple more pix, he didn't even move. I may try tomorrow to get him on a piece of paper for better contract.

He may have days or months, doesn't matter to me. I paid $20 for him and tank, and he can have a better last few months!

He doesn't appear to have the two-color shading of a metallica, though... Other clues?

Marga

advan

oOOo
Staff member
hope you don't mind but i zoomed in on your pic and this is what makes me suspect MM. Either way nice pick up! I like the gray/black
look in the 4th pic.

Attachments

Last edited:

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Ive taken several more pix of him, and if he has hooks, they are far less prominent than those on the A hentzis. I don't know if he's made a sperm web, if he's too old to breed, or anything. Doesn't matter to me, he can just be comfy with me for a while. If he's docile, he'll have a couple of ladies and a toddler willing to coo over him and tell him he's a sweet old boy. Now if I just had a mature female... of whichever species.

Marga

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive taken several more pix of him, and if he has hooks, they are far less prominent than those on the A hentzis. I don't know if he's made a sperm web, if he's too old to breed, or anything. Doesn't matter to me, he can just be comfy with me for a while. If he's docile, he'll have a couple of ladies and a toddler willing to coo over him and tell him he's a sweet old boy. Now if I just had a mature female... of whichever species.

Marga
D'aww, that's nice. You done good!

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Marga
I dont believe avics get hooks. If i remember right the metallica i had didnt have any and the versi sitting in my T room right now doesnt have them either. but i could be wrong. Does look like a MM though ;)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
A. avics get hooks but not all avics sp get hooks.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont believe avics get hooks. If i remember right the metallica i had didnt have any and the versi sitting in my T room right now doesnt have them either. but i could be wrong. Does look like a MM though ;)
A. metallica do have hooks. :)

captmarga

Arachnobaron
My question is are we sure he's a metallica? If so, and anyone local wants to try to breed him, I'll drive him anywhere in the Dallas/FtWorth or surrounding areas. I don't know how well he'd ship. (And of course, no guarantee he's even fertile... I think he's ancient).

Marga

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
Versi do have hooks, but trust me they are very small hooks.
My MM metallica had very large hooks.But he was a small bugger 4in maybe.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My question is are we sure he's a metallica? If so, and anyone local wants to try to breed him, I'll drive him anywhere in the Dallas/FtWorth or surrounding areas. I don't know how well he'd ship. (And of course, no guarantee he's even fertile... I think he's ancient).

Marga
He certainly looks like what's being sold as A. metallica.

For anyone interested, here's a list of species that don't possess tibial spurs when they mature:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=273220&postcount=3 :)