So...this about being aggressiv...

Tigger

Arachnopeon
Semantics. And a pointlesss argument. The two are not mutually exclussive. They are acting aggressively in defense of their territory.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
It's difficult to describe. When I feed him, he grab, kill, turn around, put a few threads over the prey and then turn around again. It happens very quickly. Everything well with that, all of my Orphnaecus behave like that too, it's a privilege to see and a big reason why I love those spiders. But Mr Devil don't stop there, he go for the tweezers, attacks the lid when I put it back and would probably eat me too if he got the chance.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
There are NO blurred lines.

There are NO individuals that buck the trend.

Tarantulas AREN'T aggressive.

Every single time someone states their tarantula is aggressive there's ALWAYS a common factor. Them disturbing the tarantula in some way. Be it filling the water dish, feeding or something else.

How do you interact with your tarantulas then? You don't feed them? You don't fill up their water dishes?

I was trying to explain a different experience with this individual because I thought it would be of interest.

basin79

ArachnoGod
How do you interact with your tarantulas then? You don't feed them? You don't fill up their water dishes?

I was trying to explain a different experience with this individual because I thought it would be of interest.
You've misunderstood me. I was just stating the facts. I wasn't trying to state anything else.

I have a few defensive tarantulas that will give me a defensive posture whilst just trying to feed or fill up their water dish. But they only do that because I disturbed them.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aggressive is not the opposite of defensive.

Aggressive is opposite of calm.

Aggressive and calm are the amount of energy entered into the activity.

Lets say that you entered my house and just randomly started to flood my living room with water.

If I say, "No, I would like you to get your jacket and leave." I was calming defensive.

If I punch in the face 10 times and toss you our of the building throwing your jacket on you, that is aggressively defensive.

Both cases I was defensive, one required a lot of energy.

When you look at offensive tarantulas, one that chew through the lid, run down the hall and kills your mailman, we all agree that tarantulas are only defensive

I get the side that does not want to use the bad words because of optics. I get it, people don't want to use the word aggressive.

But when I say, I planted a bunch of strawberries in the plot and they aggressively took over the space. Does NOT mean that strawberries are running around in shiny armor and swords slaying the land. I mean that they surprised me in the amount of spread they did in the time they had.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
I thought that this site would be different from FB. I thought that people here actually was interested in the individual spider.
They don't all behave the same, repeating the mantra "spiders are not aggressive" over and over again doesn't make it true. It is really sad that we can't talk about this at this forum.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I thought that this site would be different from FB. I thought that people here actually was interested in the individual spider.
They don't all behave the same, repeating the mantra "spiders are not aggressive" over and over again doesn't make it true. It is really sad that we can't talk about this at this forum.
Bang on. This magnificent place is nothing like Facebook. No tripe. No sensationalism. No nonsense.

There AREN'T any aggressive spiders. Peek into the room a spider/tarantula/centipede/scorpion is being kept and you might spy them in their enclosure 100% calm.

Now open their enclosure and they might very well get defensive as they feel THREATENED. Really not sure why you're finding it so difficult to understand.

Or is it you want everyone to know you have a "devil tarantula that wants to kill you"?

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We just like to keep these terms clearly defined, for the sake of how these animals are perceived by the general population.
In the movie “Arachnophobia”, the spider in the jungle that crawls into that guy’s tent to bite him is “aggressive”, as we use it here.
But in the climactic scene, when Jeff Daniels goes into the spider’s lair to kill it and destroy its egg sac, that spider is being “defensive”, even though it is trying to bite him. The difference is that we could live in harmony with the spider in the second case, we would just have to respect it’s boundaries.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Chilobrachys fimbriatus. Calm until I opened her enclosure. DEFENSIVE.

92C1425F-923D-431E-8FB8-A3F49C3B2F68.jpeg 2ED175B8-9B6C-46ED-AE48-022F989E9610.jpeg

Heteroscodra maculata. Calm until I opened her enclosure. DEFENSIVE.

047C63AF-424A-44B0-BA5A-73570A0E9C09.jpeg

Cyriopagopus doriae. Calm until I opened her enclosure. DEFENSIVE.

DE01CDB7-38A0-4093-83BE-9CF0A50A39FF.jpeg

Cyriopagopus sp Bach Ma. Calm until I opened her enclosure. DEFENSIVE.

E18A91AC-090F-40CB-872A-255AC77A975B.jpeg

Macrothele gigas. Calm until I opened her enclosure. DEFENSIVE.

8E7BA2D9-A828-475F-A5D1-5E9C3BAECCDA.jpeg F9A5C706-3901-4284-B62C-D541943B9850.jpeg

Do you see the common theme?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Chilobrachys fimbriatus. Calm until I opened her enclosure. DEFENSIVE.

View attachment 354826 View attachment 354827

Heteroscodra maculata. Calm until I opened her enclosure. DEFENSIVE.

View attachment 354828

Cyriopagopus doriae. Calm until I opened her enclosure. DEFENSIVE.

View attachment 354829

Cyriopagopus sp Bach Ma. Calm until I opened her enclosure. DEFENSIVE.

View attachment 354830

Macrothele gigas. Calm until I opened her enclosure. DEFENSIVE.

View attachment 354831 View attachment 354835

Do you see the common theme?
Spiders? 😂😂😂😂

Dorifto

He who moists xD
As always. Great input.
Thanks!! Hahahahahaha just joking

I'm with you in your statement. They need love like everybody. I don't understand why nobody gives them a hug with such lovely posture.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Here he is.
Doesn't look like much, but he really are...not like anything I ever encountered before. View attachment 354675
Put your T in a proper enclosure, with the right size and amount of substrate and you will see how she calms down. A lot of "agressive"/defensive moments are caused due to a improper enclosure, where the T can't hide when it feels vulnerable, so what's the next thing they know to do? to be defensive, and when they feel too unconfortable they can be agressive, but that's not the common rule.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
Put your T in a proper enclosure, with the right size and amount of substrate and you will see how she calms down. A lot of "agressive"/defensive moments are caused due to a improper enclosure, where the T can't hide when it feels vulnerable, so what's the next thing they know to do? to be defensive, and when they feel too unconfortable they can be agressive, but that's not the common rule.

I totally agree with that. But I also think that we don't have to close our eyes when something appears to be different.
Semantics? Sure! It's a good point! But we can not realy on our interpretation of common words and expect that people not being in the hobby understand what we say. I think it's a bad idea to refuse the common interpretation of "aggressive".

Last edited by a moderator: