So stupid

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
OMG what a rookie mistake. I just checked my Vaejovis spinigerus scorpling 3/4" and found him upside down in his water dish. I put a bottle cap in his tank and put it about 1/2 full of water thinking it would be shallow enough for him to drink from without drowning himself. I was wrong,

but thankfully I plucked him out of the dish with my forceps and put him in my palm and he flipped over and began running around. I felt so stupid! How do you guys give water to something so small without the worry scorpionacide by drowning?

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I was under the impression that misting was out as this scorp required dry substrate. that is why I didnt mist in the first place but I will start..

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey there again.

They don't drink often. Like I said before, misting once every two weeks should suffice. They get some fluids from the feeders too!

You could mist once a week if you have good ventilation and go light with it.
The other option is to take pebbles and put a layer in the water dish. Then you fill the water dish just a tad over the top of the rocks. That should work fine as well.

But it really isn't needed. Most people here do not use water dishes with slings. The reason is they eat (and get fluids from), more often than adults. Some adults will not eat for a month or even a couple of months depending. In that case, some people provide them with a water dish.

Don't worry, you are doing fine. :p

*edit* When misting, I prefer to do it at night, so that the scorp will be active and drink if needed before the droplets evaporate.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
trying

When misting, I prefer to do it at night, so that the scorp will be active and drink if needed before the droplets evaporate.
I have removed the "water bowl" he dried out and was in his hide for a while. I checked him a minute ago and he was digging his little butt off just outside the hide. he is a cute lil thing I will be glad when he gets bigger so I can quit worring about him so much.

The night misting makes alot of common sense {something that isnt so common around here lately :D} Thanks alot!

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was under the impression that misting was out as this scorp required dry substrate. that is why I didnt mist in the first place but I will start..
Just an FYI..this species can use a bit of moisture in it's environment. Definately not bone-dry like a Desert Hairy or Dune scorp. Try a water dish with a bit of clean gravel in it so the scorp couldn't possibly be submerged even when it is filled with water.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i spray mine 3-5 times a week, in very tiny amounts, enough to make a little on the walls and the dirt. mines 1/4" an inch.