So my T Costa Rican zebra knee has been curled up for a day or so and I’m worried

Lpukkaprice32

Arachnopeon
So I recently got her about 3/4 days ago and the first day I was putting a plant inside her enclosure and she ran for it falling 3ft but carrying on running,I quickly got her back in her enclosure and she just seems a little shocked and was hiding behind the plant,I gave her a touch with my paintbrush yesterday and she seemed to be walking fine but today she has just curled up all day next to her heat Matt,the temperature is 28 degrees in her enclosure so it’s nice and warm,I’m worried as it was such a high fall and because I don’t know what she acted like before 4 days ago I just need some advice please!!😓I can’t see any signs of blood or shreilved abdomen or dull colour

Attachments

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Either you want to:
  1. Put way way more substrate
  2. Rehouse to smaller enclosure

I would not usually put terrestrial tarantulas into tall nano enclosure.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Can you please post pictures of the entire exclosure? It looks like unsafe level of substrate, which poses a fall risk which is dangerous for terrestrials.

and looks just like stress pose. But since you say it already took a 3ft fall, correct the substrate now, before any other fall damage (internal damage, or abdomen rupture) occurs.

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
That is a stress curl, not a death curl. Adult T´s need their time to acclimate, a few days or weeks. Your T is fine.

Lpukkaprice32

Arachnopeon
Either you want to:
  1. Put way way more substrate
  2. Rehouse to smaller enclosure

I would not usually put terrestrial tarantulas into tall nano enclosure.
yeah I’ve got some New stuff drying out now to put in there to dry it up a bit and she didn’t fall in the enclosure she ran out the front and fell bless her,thank you😊

Can you please post pictures of the entire exclosure? It looks like unsafe level of substrate, which poses a fall risk which is dangerous for terrestrials.

and looks just like stress pose. But since you say it already took a 3ft fall, correct the substrate now, before any other fall damage (internal damage, or abdomen rupture) occurs.
ive got some drying out as we speakto put in there and the fall wasn’t in the enclosure it was out the front panel on to the floor 😬she seems okay just been shaken,thank you so much anyway 😊

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
ive got some drying out as we speakto put in there and the fall wasn’t in the enclosure it was out the front panel on to the floor 😬she seems okay just been shaken,thank you so much anyway 😊
make sure thhere is no more than 1.5x DLS from substrate level to lid, and A. seemanni will appreciate the room to burrow as well.

Lpukkaprice32

Arachnopeon
As we speak guys she seems to have opened her legs up and relaxed a little 😊an btw I got her with a missing leg 😂bless her

Attachments

Sterls

Arachnobaron
As stated, this is just a stress pose so no immediate signs of impending death. That said, 3 feet is a lot... I can see a sling surviving it (and have experienced so first hand), but if this girl survives that'd be surprising. Not trying to be negative - I just don't think you're out of the woods yet. It's a good sign you haven't noticed blood or anything yet though for sure. Just keep an eye on her! And whatever you do, if she starts to deteriorate at some point, do NOT put her in an ICU. Only mentioning this because you seem new to the hobby - if so, welcome! And either way, welcome to the boards.

Also don't worry too too much if she goes into a stress pose again. My seemani takes forever to adjust to new enclosures.

Some other things:

1) Where did you get the plant?
2) As @Smotzer said post some pictures of the entire enclosure from several angles so we can make sure everything else is good.
3) You don't really need the heat mat. It's good you placed it in the side - the fact you did makes me think you did some research, which is great! You seem to know this but just in case you put it there for another reason, heat mats on the bottom can be a death sentence, as Ts burrow to escape heat. So make sure there's a few inches of substrate between the bottom of the mat and the bottom of the cage.
4) In general, good idea not to add stuff or redecorate with the T inside. Only thing going into enclosures should be catch cups, tongs, and water dishes unless you remove the T. Protects your fingers from hairs/bites, and prevents escapes/falls from spooked Ts - especially with front opening enclosures.
5) Have you replaced the screen lid with plexiglass? They can get their toe claws stuck in screens so you should if you haven't, even if you don't see her climb. I've caught mine out for strolls occasionally in the middle of the night. It's very easy and cheap, just search on here and you should find a guide. If you have trouble finding info on it feel free to PM me.
6) Try to get in the habit of using scientific names. The latin can be a little intimidating at first, but it's really not that bad once you start reading and researching more. Common names vary, and are often wrong/ambiguous. The latin name for this species is Aphonopelma seemani, FYI.
7) Tip for the boards: you can quote multiple posts in one reply. This keeps things concise and doesn't flood threads with a bunch of individual replies.

Sorry for the novel - I need another hobby apparently! You'll love this T, it's one of my personal favorites.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I recently got her about 3/4 days ago and the first day I was putting a plant inside her enclosure and she ran for it falling 3ft but carrying on running,I quickly got her back in her enclosure and she just seems a little shocked and was hiding behind the plant,I gave her a touch with my paintbrush yesterday and she seemed to be walking fine but today she has just curled up all day next to her heat Matt,the temperature is 28 degrees in her enclosure so it’s nice and warm,I’m worried as it was such a high fall and because I don’t know what she acted like before 4 days ago I just need some advice please!!😓I can’t see any signs of blood or shreilved abdomen or dull colour
Seems like an arboreal box to me. Your T might die.

Lpukkaprice32

Arachnopeon
As stated, this is just a stress pose so no immediate signs of impending death. That said, 3 feet is a lot... I can see a sling surviving it (and have experienced so first hand), but if this girl survives that'd be surprising. Not trying to be negative - I just don't think you're out of the woods yet. It's a good sign you haven't noticed blood or anything yet though for sure. Just keep an eye on her! And whatever you do, if she starts to deteriorate at some point, do NOT put her in an ICU. Only mentioning this because you seem new to the hobby - if so, welcome! And either way, welcome to the boards.

Also don't worry too too much if she goes into a stress pose again. My seemani takes forever to adjust to new enclosures.

Some other things:

1) Where did you get the plant?
2) As @Smotzer said post some pictures of the entire enclosure from several angles so we can make sure everything else is good.
3) You don't really need the heat mat. It's good you placed it in the side - the fact you did makes me think you did some research, which is great! You seem to know this but just in case you put it there for another reason, heat mats on the bottom can be a death sentence, as Ts burrow to escape heat. So make sure there's a few inches of substrate between the bottom of the mat and the bottom of the cage.
4) In general, good idea not to add stuff or redecorate with the T inside. Only thing going into enclosures should be catch cups, tongs, and water dishes unless you remove the T. Protects your fingers from hairs/bites, and prevents escapes/falls from spooked Ts - especially with front opening enclosures.
5) Have you replaced the screen lid with plexiglass? They can get their toe claws stuck in screens so you should if you haven't, even if you don't see her climb. I've caught mine out for strolls occasionally in the middle of the night. It's very easy and cheap, just search on here and you should find a guide. If you have trouble finding info on it feel free to PM me.
6) Try to get in the habit of using scientific names. The latin can be a little intimidating at first, but it's really not that bad once you start reading and researching more. Common names vary, and are often wrong/ambiguous. The latin name for this species is Aphonopelma seemani, FYI.
7) Tip for the boards: you can quote multiple posts in one reply. This keeps things concise and doesn't flood threads with a bunch of individual replies.

Sorry for the novel - I need another hobby apparently! You'll love this T, it's one of my personal favorites.
i got the plant from pets at home near me, its a fake reptile plant😊

okay I shall send you pictures now it is a tall enclosure as didn’t have anything else at the time but I am going to be ordering a 1ft by 2ft so I will keep a eye on her until so

i have got a heatstat and dial to make sure the temperature is okay and yes I did do my research and found you can either put it half half or on the side and I chose the side as she can get to the other side if too hot

I did get the plant after I got her so I just tapped her and she walked right into a Container so that’s when I put the plant in and I know it’s not ideal the front opening enclosure but it’s just for now really 😬

I have not but I’m not going to be using this enclosure after I rehome Her😊

Thank you so much literally 😂i need to learn as I am really new and it’s allways good listening to someone who knows what there on about so thank you again 🤘🏼

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon

okay I shall send you pictures now it is a tall enclosure as didn’t have anything else at the time but I am going to be ordering a 1ft by 2ft so I will keep a eye on her until so

i have got a heatstat and dial to make sure the temperature is okay and yes I did do my research and found you can either put it half half or on the side and I chose the side as she can get to the other side if too hot

I did get the plant after I got her so I just tapped her and she walked right into a Container so that’s when I put the plant in and I know it’s not ideal the front opening enclosure but it’s just for now really 😬

I have not but I’m not going to be using this enclosure after I rehome Her😊

Thank you so much literally 😂i need to learn as I am really new and it’s allways good listening to someone who knows what there on about so thank you again 🤘🏼
Keep learning, the people here have a dizzying amount of knowledge to offer if you tap in.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Groovy! I thought there might be a real plant out of frame, and wanted to make sure you didn't get one from Home Depot or something.
Wait so she walked into a container? How'd she fall then?
No problem homie! We were all beginners at one point, always happy to help out.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Groovy! I thought there might be a real plant out of frame, and wanted to make sure you didn't get one from Home Depot or something.

Wait so she walked into a container? How'd she fall then?

No problem homie! We were all beginners at one point, always happy to help out.
Whoa now. Nothing wrong with Home Depot. Lets not get hasty here.