So my OBT and Asian Fawn arrived. This is what happened ...

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
Post man delivered them an hour ago. I had everything prepped and ready to go. I didn't know how bit these would be. I expected 1cm slings but the OBT is about 2cm and the Asian Fawn around 3cm.

I took a peek in the vials and decided I best do this in a container, inside the bath tub.

First up was the OBT. He was chill. He showed no sign of defence. I gently touched him with a paintbrush and he ran into his container. Nice and easy. I let out a sigh of relief. "That was easy" I said.

Next up the Asian Fawn. I held my witts about me, regained composer and began the process. The seller had packed them a little strange which made it hard for the T to get out. He just ran and hid within the tissue.

I didn't want to get to close so I started cutting away at the tissue so easier for him to get out. All was going well.

I gently tapped him to go into his container and in the blink of an eye it turned around and attacked the paintbrush 3 times. I did shit myself. I was on my guard, doing everything right, and just like that it attacked.

It remained in a defensive pose for a while. I let her calm and went again. Same thing happened.

At this point I wasn't willing to mess about. I put the bit of tissue in the container and will wait for her to stroll out into her new home. There's only a very small bit of tissue.

The Asian Fawn lives up to its name! It's one angry little bugger.

On a happier note they are beautiful :) I half expected the OBT to be a difficult one.

I will get some pictures soon. I need a good camera, the one on my phone is awful.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Glad everything went smoothly. I've found it's best to let them come out on their own when you're working with OW tarantulas. There's no point trying to coax those little monsters :p

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Well you approached the transfer the correct way! OWs are unpredictable and fast :D Such things happen :D I usually have more problems with NW than OW though :banghead:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well you approached the transfer the correct way! OWs are unpredictable and fast :D Such things happen :D I usually have more problems with NW than OW though :banghead:
I had a terrestrial nw make a break for it, I spent about two minutes playing ring around the rosie on the lid trying to coax her back into her cage without dropping her. My ow never give me that much trouble, heck I was cleaning my T.gigas cage and she wouldn't budge from her spot even when I was poking her with a paint brush, this genus is known for bolting....

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I had a terrestrial nw make a break for it, I spent about two minutes playing ring around the rosie on the lid trying to coax her back into her cage without dropping her. My ow never give me that much trouble, heck I was cleaning my T.gigas cage and she wouldn't budge from her spot even when I was poking her with a paint brush, this genus is known for bolting....
When I'm rehousing OWs they do bolt, but I've got a system that makes them bolt directly into their new enclosures so it's no problem there. NWs would never move! that's my problem :D I always have to beg them to move..Except for my Nhandus.. They are agitated little buggers :D

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
Rehousing OW's is always a fun experience. I had a similar experience with a pokie some years back. Ran up the bath onto the wall and I had trouble catching it. It got very defensive and ran right past my arm. When moments like that happen it certainly raises the pulse rate :p

Overall though it went well, so I'm happy. Now I can admire them in their new homes. Going to build some nice perspex enclosures over the next couple of months to make feeding and watering easier. A dude on here created an awesome enclosure. I need to dig that out.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Yup that's sounds like an Asian fawn alright my girl did the same thing when I got her :). I love that velvety look on them it's so clean and smooth looking it's much different than your hairy new worlds.

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
Yup that's sounds like an Asian fawn alright my girl did the same thing when I got her :). I love that velvety look on them it's so clean and smooth looking it's much different than your hairy new worlds.
Absolutely beautiful T. My fav. :)

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
Absolutely beautiful T. My fav. :)

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Honestly when I read the title I though something went horribly wrong. Im glad it didnt. When I rehoused My OBT sling it had no interest in going to its new home. Luckily I had a catch cup and plenty of room to work lol.

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
Honestly when I read the title I though something went horribly wrong. Im glad it didnt. When I rehoused My OBT sling it had no interest in going to its new home. Luckily I had a catch cup and plenty of room to work lol.
Reading the title back I can see how it looks now. Sorry, he he. I am happy my OBT just walked right in. How old is your OBT?

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I got it as 1 inch sling in the middle of this past march. I fed mine live food for the first time last week (before all my prey items were to big so I keep to prekilled). Anyway my little sling was on this little roach like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate during a snow storm. Lol one of my favorite major pain quotes.

How old is yours

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
I got it as 1 inch sling in the middle of this past march. I fed mine live food for the first time last week (before all my prey items were to big so I keep to prekilled). Anyway my little sling was on this little roach like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate during a snow storm. Lol one of my favorite major pain quotes.

How old is yours
I'm not sure on the age. The seller listed 1cm slings but this one is about a 2, possibly a 3. I will measure properly soon. Just letting them chill out from their traveling for the moment. I have emailed the seller so should have more info later today. I cant wait to see them eat their first meal. You got any other skittish/defensive species?

I'm on the hunt for another 2 T's. My wife has fell in love with a T.blondi on Youtube (I'm sure everyone has seen Zilla right?) so she's asked if I can get one. Which is amazing considering she hated spiders. I think she's slowly seeing they're cool.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I have a C. Cyaneopubescens which can be skittish, however mine seems calm for its species. Its only about 3inches or so but its very beautiful. Also it hits prey like a tank.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Post man delivered them an hour ago

Ah ah I always love to imagine all of those post mans/ladies in Europe feelings/faces if they would really know what's inside the parcels they deliver happy and whistling, like genus Androctonus, Sicarius hahni, powerful venomous centipedes of all kinds etc

I think they wouldn't be so calmer, lol :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I got a 1cm C. huahini (Asian Fawn) sling as a surprise freebie back in October (I'd only been keeping Tarantulas for about 4 months at the time so I was like "WTF?! Really?"), it's about 2.5 inches now, mine is really skittish and just bolts into it's burrow/web den at the slightest disturbance, it did give me a threat posture on the day I unpacked it though which was pretty funny.

Rehouses are fun as it has a tendency to bolt and it can bloody shift as well lol.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Ah ah I always love to imagine all of those post mans/ladies in Europe feelings/faces if they would really know what's inside the parcels they deliver happy and whistling, like genus Androctonus, Sicarius hahni, powerful venomous centipedes of all kinds etc

I've had one turn up and, as he handed the parcel over, said "I'm glad to be rid of that one".

I turned around and said "You'd be even happier if you knew what was in it" and laughed.

He just gave me a weird look and walked off :rofl:

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon

Funny thing happened. Before he handed it over he asked me to sign for it. As I was signing he said "What's in here Tarantulas?" (non of the packaging said this though, maybe it was on his delivery report). I said yes ... but he kept the box in his hand for a good 20 seconds. Then he said "Well I hope they haven't escaped into my van". And walked off.