so many tarantulas which one should i choose??

intriqet

Arachnopeon
Okay! Im pretty much a noob at this tarantula raising thing and just got a new tarantula a couple of days ago! This one is a common rose hair and its pretty boring! I had a starburst baboon before but had to give it away because it was way too aggressive (it kept trying to run out of its aquarium to bite me everytime i tried to feed the bastard). So anyway, im thinking i want a new tarantula! Something more active and not so boring and weird (rose hairs have got an irregular feeding habit or something) but definitely not one that'll rear up every time i get too close to its container. any suggestion you tarantula pros??

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
On the begginers thread there is a area with intermediate T species. You will find lots of info there.

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You know, I actually love these types of questions from nubies!
I would recomend both the Grammastola sp. or the Brachypelma sp. for a beginner. Overall - lots of color in both sp., readily availible, good attitudes and won't break the bank. Now, some Brachy's are renoun hair-kickers - but well worth the itch! Also, some may recomend an avicularia sp. (arborial), but I would hold off until I got a little better feel for keeping a 'T' as they are quick and like to jump.

Suggestions:
Brachypelma smithi - Mexican Red Knee
Brachypelma emelia - Mexican Painted
Grammastola rosea - Chilean rose
Grammastola aureostriata - Chaco Golden Knee

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't shoot me, but I think most of the Brachypelmas and Grammostolas can be way too boring for a beginner. I mean, if you are not a complete moron, you can handle (not literally) most of the new worlders. Of course common beginner species can be a good choice if you like very docile Ts. I've always thought that little defensiveness seems more natural.

Edit: My first T was P. cancerides and the second P. cambridgei. I bought my first Poecilotheria about six months after that and I've never had any problems with my Ts.

Last edited:

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't shoot me, but I think most of the Brachypelmas and Grammostolas can be way too boring for a beginner. I mean, if you are not a complete moron, you can handle (not literally) most of the new worlders. Of course common beginner species can be a good choice if you like very docile Ts. I've always thought that little defensiveness seems more natural.
I would recommend something more interesting, like Acanthoscurria geniculata (big size, colorful, very voracious), although it's more defensive than the majority of the Brachypelma spp. and Grammostola spp., but, obviously, not AS defensive AS Pterinochilus murinus.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. geniculata would be a great choice. As long as you don't wave your fingers near her fangs, there will be no problems.

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

I would recomend a blondi, lovely character, rarely kicks hair and good appetite.:D

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With blondi, the biggest problem is those goddamn hairs. I think it's one of the few NW species that shouldn't be RECOMMENDED for a beginner. :) But I'm not saying that it can't be a good starter T.

Edit: ricneto: Yes, I know you were probably joking.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd suggest a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens ( Green bottle blue GBB ). The GBB is a great eater, very hardy, active enough for a terrestial, prolific webbers, and one of the nicest looking T's in the hobby.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd suggest a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens ( Green bottle blue GBB ). The GBB is a great eater, very hardy, active enough for a terrestial, prolific webbers, and one of the nicest looking T's in the hobby.
I agree with that. GBB would be a great option as well.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As someone from this forum (anyone remember who it was?) said: "GBBs look like badly dressed clowns". {D I couldn't agree more...

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got a juvenile GBB, first T that I bought. I also have 2 big adult roseas, which are neat but much less active. MUCH less..

I think my gf is jealous of it, I've been spending so much time watching it :p. Amazing choice for a beginner, as long as you don't mind the fact that they can be QUICK when they want to be.

intriqet

Arachnopeon
Thanks!

Thanks for all the help folks! now i have to do a search on all the names, im not too familiar with the scientific names, it'll give me something to do for the next few hours. Thanks again!

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree with that. GBB would be a great option as well.
Yep, I have one, and she's awesome.

Along the lines of A. geniculata is L. parahybana, which is like the easier/cheaper/MUCH tougher health-wise version of T. blondi. I think they're very pretty, mine's like 2-3" now and has some lovely pink fuzz over a dark body.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've always thought that little defensiveness seems more natural.
have you ever been T hunting in central Texas? Docile is NATURAL for them ... the ones that are defensive are the oddballs. Actually i think i have only seen one wild caught Native Texas T that was agressive at all.
I have a CB anax that gets a bad attitude from time to time

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i had an wild caught UM a. hentzi that was pretty nasty when i would open its container. {D

intriqet

Arachnopeon
checked out some the species that was recommended, (whiteknee, the gbb, trinidad chevron, and the haitian brown) all freaking awesome looking tarantulas and they're pretty huge ones too. After that i went to this local store that mostly sells pets you wont find at your petsmart. Anyway the lady, dubbed spider lady, told me that anyone of those spiders would cost me anywhere from 50 to 150 as juveniles!! thats crazy! especially when i only paid 8.99 for a juvenile rose hair and 15 dollars for an adult female starburst baboon. Time to do some research to see if im getting ripped off. I'll probably be checking swift's and a few other online retailers to see how their prices compare. Would anyone happen to know where i can buy tarantulas online for cheap??

oh yeah i want to go looking for tarantulas in texas, i heard theyve got a bunch of cool ones from someone else too, but i live in california.

and i cant find that beginners thread..

Last edited:

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
checked out some the species that was recommended, (whiteknee, the gbb, trinidad chevron, and the haitian brown) all freaking awesome looking tarantulas and they're pretty huge ones too. After that i went to this local store that mostly sells pets you wont find at your petsmart. Anyway the lady, dubbed spider lady, told me that anyone of those spiders would cost me anywhere from 50 to 150 as juveniles!! thats crazy! especially when i only paid 8.99 for a juvenile rose hair and 15 dollars for an adult female starburst baboon. Time to do some research to see if im getting ripped off. I'll probably be checking swift's and a few other online retailers to see how their prices compare. Would anyone happen to know where i can buy tarantulas online for cheap??
Look at the Sale/Trade Forum. Probably, there you'll find what you're looking for, and rather cheap.